Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow setup carbon vs. Alum >

Bow setup carbon vs. Alum

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow setup carbon vs. Alum

Old 10-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow setup carbon vs. Alum

I was in a shop the other day and the owner asked a guy if he was shooting carobns or aluminum. What is the difference in bow setup for the two arrows? The only thing I could think of was the size of D-loop and even that is strange. Thanks guys.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:36 PM

Default RE: Bow setup carbon vs. Alum

It is all a speed question. Carbons are good arrows, but higher poundages with very light arrows can damage your bow.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:17 AM

Speed, durability and preference is the main difference. Carbons being lighter per inch then most aluminum arrows equals speed. Carbons are also more durable and can take a hit and are less likely to bend. I also think carbons will out last aluminums in over-all use especially over a thin walled aluminum. The only question with carbons is spine change with long term shooting. (and that's still debatable) With all that said that dosen't mean carbons are a better choice. I use carbon in my target set-up for durability and speed but change to aluminum for hunting for weight and momentum. Carbons @ 5 gr.per and aluminum @ 7.5 gr.per. I also got better arrow flight with fixed blades from aluminum. I'm sure that speed had a lot to do with arrow flight. There are more then enough cabons out there for your every need that have a range of wt. per inch. Aluminum is also used in target because of shaft diamater. Bigger for more line cutting. And the last factor is price. Carbon being twice the price of aluminum but depending on the the amount of shooting you do over the year carbon may equal out due to durability. Jerry
Old 10-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

The difference in bow setup is due to different shaft diameters. For instance, a 2315 shaft with a diameter of 23/64" will allow wider gap between the prongs on the rest and will need a bit higher nockset and have the rest set a smidge lower (so the arrow will split the rest mounting hole) than you'd need for a carbon arrow that is closer to 20/64" diameter.

Also, it's a lot easier to get decent fletching clearance with a fat aluminum shaft than it is for a skinny carbon arrow.

Some carbon arrow makers have come out with large diameter arrows for shooters that need line cutters and they'd have the same tuning requirements/benefits.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Arthur P, for answering my question. I didn't even think about nock height and that stuff.