Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Results from spine-tuned arrows >

Results from spine-tuned arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Results from spine-tuned arrows

Old 10-06-2004, 07:11 AM

Default RE: Results from spine-tuned arrows

Interesting stuff.

Have you found any correlation between the "seam" on a carbon arrow and the stiff or weak side of that same arrow? I need to build a spine tester.

-Chief
Old 10-06-2004, 08:01 AM

Chief,

I tried looking for a seam, but couldn't find one. I'm not sure if it is something that is visible to the naked eye with Gold Tips, but they weren't to this naked eye. I even wondered if the label was applied the same to all arrows, in relationship to the seam. I don't guess that it is, and I saw no correlation to the label either.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think seams are found more commonly in rolled graphite/carbon shafting, like the technology used in making some golf shafts.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:06 PM

The last 2 sets of arrows I built were Gold Tip Hunter XT's and Easton Fatboys and both had a visable seam. If you have good lighting you can find it. And yes, the labels were all indexed the same in relationship to the seam. I used to find the weak spine and index my nocks and cock fletch accordingly but have recently began just doing so using the labels. That was the reason for my question. It makes for a very proffesional looking finished set and every time I load a Fatboy in my rig, the logo is positioned correctly. It's all about image. If nothing else, I intend to look good.

-Chief
Old 10-06-2004, 03:05 PM

Chief, I got out a 10x hand lense and looked under a bright lamp, and I still couldn't find it. My eyes aren't the best, but it's certainly nothing obvious. I took another look at the label position and found that 5 were close to the same position in relation to the cock fletch. 5 were within 1/4 turn and 2 were on the opposite side. This suggests there is some correlation to the seam if the label is positioned the same, as you said.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:55 PM

YES! Thank you my man. I was hoping that was the case.

Thanks, you've been very helpfull!

I'm off to find the thread about your tester..............

take care!

-Chief