HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Now what? Broadhead/Tuning question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/74500-now-what-broadhead-tuning-question.html)

blindsquirel 10-01-2004 09:02 AM

Now what? Broadhead/Tuning question

OK, got the Patriot DC all set up, paper tuned and have selected a properley spined arrow( FYI, GT 5575 @ 27.5 were not even close to being enoupgh, those cams were whippin those arrows like a stepchild) I went to the 7595's and that seemed to do the trick. I shoot awesome groups with the Copper John and got all my pins set. After all this I need to see where my braodheads are, 125 gr Montec G5's. They shoot 2-3" left at 23 yards. Only thing is that they seem to fly a little farther left, 4-5" left on occasion. Question is, now what? Do i just make the appropriate adjustment to the sight to bring the broadheads in line, or am I supposed go back to paper tuning? Thanks for you thoughts.

Here is my complete setup in case it matters:
04' Patriot DC
30" Draw
74 lbs.
7595 GT's @ 27.5"
MZE rest
Deadnuts CJ sight
305 fps

mrfritz44 10-01-2004 09:40 AM

RE: Now what? Broadhead/Tuning question

Broadhead tune using Easton's guide. You should be able to walk you broadheads into your field tips in relation to each other.......then adjust your sights accordingly.

Carwi 10-01-2004 10:58 AM

What mrfritz44 said! You'll need to move your rest to the right in small increments to get your montecs to hit with your field tips. 1/32" at a time. That small of an increment should move your BH group over 1"+ at 25yds. Once you get your broadhead groups hitting exatctly with your field tips then adjust your sight. Your group could be opening up some needing the fine tuning. However, you should shrink your broadhead group once you get them flying with your field tips. You could have a bit of torqing going on. By the way, I really like your setup! Quiet, fast, and deadly! With your broadheads that close to your field tips it won't take much to fine tune that bow. You picked the best spined arrow for your setup as well IMO. Good luck let us know how it turns out!

BobCo19-65 10-01-2004 11:02 AM

Why do broadheads have to have the same impact point of fieldpoints?

If fieldpoint impact = broadhead impact points, does that = perfect tune??????

mrfritz44 10-01-2004 11:23 AM

Not perfect, but close. Assuming that the arrow is spined correctly, that the arrow is true, and that your form is relatively consistent, bad broadhead flight is often a symptom of a poorly tuned bow.

I think it was Barry Wensel who suggested that you should take the largest, widest, and most likely to plane broadhead and use it to broadhead tune. Once that head is tuned in, an archer can be fairly confident that all other heads will follow.

Carwi 10-01-2004 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Why do broadheads have to have the same impact point of fieldpoints?

In reality they don't have too but I feel a lot of archers miss out on accuracy potential. If your broadhead groups are tight but to the left or right 2-3" at 25-30yds you can just resight to your broadheads and go hunting but with that same setup your broadheads will move over a lot at ranges of 40-45yds but that is also getting to a range most people don't shoot at game also. However, your broadheads reveal imperfections in tune when shot, hence the variation from field tip impact. If you bring together the two then your tune is far better resulting in a more perfect arrow flight. Groups are normally tighter and you can take field tips in the field to hunt as well for shots at small game if you don't see any deer. Personally to me getting the broadheads to impact the same as my field tips = better tune, more hunting options, and tighter groups IMO. Especially with fixed broadheads. In my experience if I can get my broadheads to group with my field tips to 60yds then shots with field tips up to 30yds results in torn fletchings and robinhooded arrows due to the tighter groups I get. I really feel when all things like this come together there is a very noticeable difference in the overall tune of a bow. Is it perfect? NO, anything can be improved upon, BETTER? YES, ABSOLUTELY!!

mrfritz44 10-01-2004 11:28 AM

Blindsquirel, be sure you let us know what the results of your tuning are. DaveC is having trouble broadhead tuning 4 blade heads with a Patriot. You and I are both shooting similarly setup Patriots with GT 7595's. It would be interesting if you got yours to fly well. What broadheads are you tuning with?

BobCo19-65 10-01-2004 11:34 AM

If your broadhead groups are tight but to the left or right 2-3" at 25-30yds you can just resight to your broadheads and go hunting but with that same setup your broadheads will move over a lot at ranges of 40-45yds but that is also getting to a range most people don't shoot at game also.
OK, so what this statement is telling me is that the field points are tuned perfectly, however, the broadheads are not centershot. Correct?

mrfritz44 10-01-2004 11:44 AM

The bottom line is that, assuming the arrow is spined correctly, that the arrow is true, and that your form is relatively consistent, bad broadhead flight indicates a bow that could be tuned better.

Is it tuned enough for hunting situations? Maybe, but knowing what it feels like to hit a deer poorly, and then have to walk up to it and pump arrows into it while it looks at you makes me want take out some extra insurance and tune as close to perfection as I can.

Carwi 10-01-2004 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

If your broadhead groups are tight but to the left or right 2-3" at 25-30yds you can just resight to your broadheads and go hunting but with that same setup your broadheads will move over a lot at ranges of 40-45yds but that is also getting to a range most people don't shoot at game also.
OK, so what this statement is telling me is that the field points are tuned perfectly, however, the broadheads are not centershot. Correct?

No, centershot would still be off some. The arrow stabilizes quicker with a field tip verses a broadhead. Basically the broadhead ends up fighting the fletching to steer the arrow if centershot is off, resulting in the field tips and broadheads not grouping together. I am not too good at explaining things sometimes so I hope someone here can help explain this better.