HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Paper Tuning (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/74317-paper-tuning.html)

Buck_Slayer 09-29-2004 08:17 PM

Paper Tuning

I have seen this on a video when i first got my bow, but never did it because I don't have a range to go to...
I was wondering how I could go about doing this in my backyard, if there is any way possible, and also, how do you achieve the "bullet hole" like which way do you move your rest to compensate...?

Carwi 09-29-2004 09:46 PM

RE: Paper Tuning

Buck_Slayer,

Do yourself a big favor and click this link: http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloa...ning_guide.zip

This is straight of Easton's website. It's a PDF file of Eastons Tuning guide. Read the guide all the way through and it will anwer and cover about everything in bow tuning you can imagine. As far as paper tuning I place my paper (I use craft paper) in a frame and attach the frame to 2 stakes I hammer in the ground. I then place my Block target in line and behind the frame 6ft. I shoot 3, 6, 12 ft. When I get bullets holes after following Easton's guide. I then proceed to group tuning, fine tuning, micro tuning, and finally tune my broadheads with my field tips to my maximum hunting range of 60yds (windless days!) It can get complicated but it's worth it to have a setup that will robinhood arrows to 40yds! I have seen others that made a homemade papertuning frame setup, some of them are really nice too. Do a search here you may be able to find an example of one. I know you can find one here: Homemade Paper Tuning Rack

BOWFANATIC 09-29-2004 10:10 PM

Also , as far as making a paper tune setup you can take a block of wood (2x4) and drill two holes in it big enough to fit an arrow in the hole. Drill the holes roughly 2 feet apart , place an arrow in each hole and tape paper to the arrows. Then you can either set it on something to get perfect height (chest level) or you can use any other scrap lumber you have laying around and make a stand for it also.

Buck_Slayer 09-29-2004 10:18 PM

Thanks for the replies, but for some reason I cannot open pdf files on this computer anymore, it went haywire and pretty much the only thing that still works is the internet...guess I will just search around for a site that has all the info on it...thanks

dwaasp 09-29-2004 10:50 PM

I was wondering how I could go about doing this in my backyard, if there is any way possible, and also, how do you achieve the "bullet hole" like which way do you move your rest to compensate...?
With $20 of 1” PVC pipe & some fittings you can build a stand for paper tuning that well receive a 24” role of white packing paper.

Put a something over the role to put it under some friction so it will be firm over the shooting window. When you have shot so many holes in it, just pull another section over the window.

Check often, to see that you put only bullet holes through the paper from 5 to 10 yds; the distance of the most erratic arrow movement.

One will lose speed fast, with an arrow traveling sideways.

You will need to find someone in your region to give you a little demo: buy a movie, book or some other publication on the subject.

mrfritz44 09-30-2004 05:43 AM

Thanks for the replies, but for some reason I cannot open pdf files on this computer anymore, it went haywire and pretty much the only thing that still works is the internet...guess I will just search around for a site that has all the info on it...thanks
Got to Adobe.com and find Acrobat Reader. It's free and allows you to open the guide, as well as an assortment of other good documents found on the internet. It's just good to have.

zak123 09-30-2004 05:49 AM

Go to a newspaper shot and get a role of blank paper. I have 2 roles of paper each about 200 yards long. It is quite heavy though!:D You can get them really cheap, if not free.

AllenRead 09-30-2004 07:31 AM

Martin Archery has instructions on paper tuning on their website that does not require .pdf

http://www.martinarchery.com/manual/.../finetune.html

Get the Easton tuning guide when you can.

Hope this helps,
Allen

Rangeball 09-30-2004 07:38 AM

For a paper tuning stand, I take a cardboard box, cut a square in the bottom of it that I can lay a piece of paper over, tape the paper to the box, lay it on it's side with the open top towards the target and shoot.

I love being a cheap bas, er guy... :)

Buck_Slayer 09-30-2004 09:22 AM

Well, I am also going on the cheap route...but if it works what the hell right?

I am taking an old clothing rack, using four close pins, and tying them up with fishing line...and for paper I will use targets that I got with a bow case....there are like 200 of them so hopefully I have it all tuned up today ready for tonight, well I am off to tune.

and about the pdf deal, I already have it on my computer, it's just somethin screwy happened to the computer and alot of stuff doesnt work anymore. I can't even download things and run them....thanks for all the help though, I will try to get my hands on the Easton Tuning Guide somehow