HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Whisker Biscuit vs. Drop Zone (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/73812-whisker-biscuit-vs-drop-zone.html)

mjqood0 09-24-2004 11:28 PM

Whisker Biscuit vs. Drop Zone

I just switched from aluminum to carbon arrows, so I either need to get a carbon biscuit for my whisker biscuit or get a new rest.

I've been looking at the Drop Zone. Everyone I've talked to loves these, but I can't seem to think that it won't be as good for stalking / hunting as a full containment rest like the whisker biscuit. There is also the Ultra Rest, but they are very pricy and I can get a DZ on ebay for less.

How well have the Drop Zones worked for people hunting? Any problems with arrows falling off when shooting from odd angles?

Thanks for the help!

Alias 09-25-2004 07:20 AM

RE: Whisker Biscuit vs. Drop Zone

Personally I would never trade in my DropZone for a Whisker. Why are you shooting at odd angles? Seems to me this would torque the grip and would be hard to be consistant...which in turn would be not a good thing, and not a fair situation to the animal as you only take a clean kill shot.

But if you are going to keep shooting at "odd angles"...the arrow will fall to the side with a DropZone. I pad the whole area around my arrow on my riser and such so that id something did happen it wouldn't make a loud noise. Now if you are talkin' about really small "odd angles"...then maybe....just maybe...

Only one way to find out...

mjqood0 09-25-2004 08:29 AM

You're right. I wouldn't want to shoot at odd angles. But in some ot the tree stands I hunt, I sometimes have to move the bow at odd angles to get in position to shoot. With the whisker biscuit, I could do this with the arrow nocked without worrying. The same wouldn't be said for a drop zone.

I think I just might try one if I can get my hands on them for not too much money.

Any thoughts on a Drop Zone vs. Drop Zone Hunter??

IL-Cornfed 09-26-2004 09:52 AM

Actually I think the DZ would surprise you with the way it can hold an arrow while your moving, stalking, or just trying to get the bow into postion within the confines of a small cramped deerstand? The little foam "Rack" arrow holder can hold the shaft snugglyand with all my DZ rigs the shaft stays in the Rack until I begin the draw. Also, while at full draw I can lean and cant my bow nearly on it's side without my arrow sliding off the vertical launcher, so please don't underetimate the DZ. As can be seen on this board as well as many others, the DZ is an incredible performer and has earned a very impressive reputation in just the second season it's been available.

As far as deciding which DZ model you would want, that certainly comes down to a personal preference of what bells & whistles you desire. I have the standard model, the Guide Series micro-adjusts and the Hunter models and theyALL perform identically. Personally IF I had to choose just one I would opt for the HUNTER version. It's a simple rock solid, bomb proof design without the $ extras. Bottom line is, who really cares if your rest is camo'd and/or if you have to pay Mathews for their Harmonic Dampers?

I've been shooting various DZ rigs for 2 seasons now and I just couldn't be happier with the products performance. I've hunted hard with 'em in every weather and shooting condition the midwest can throw at me from Oct 1 to Jan 15 and this rest has ALWAYS performed flawlessly! Pick one up and see what all the talk is about? Good luck and good shootin'. If you would like any more specific questions answered or if you would like to see any pics, please feel free to email or PM me for more details.

Orions_Bow 09-26-2004 09:55 AM

I would shoot the DropZone. I do not like flecthing contact & this style of rest just seems to go against my general thought on arrow rests. I know a lot who use them & love them but the dropzone is one of the best fallaways on the market. The rack arrow holder holds the arrow great & it is silent!

You won't be let down by the Drop Zone.

mjqood0 09-26-2004 10:33 AM

Thanks! I think you've all convinced me to try one. If I don't like it, it sure seems like there are plenty of people who'll take it off my hands!!!:D

Arrroman 09-26-2004 10:52 PM

mjgoodO,

If your aluminium whisker biscuit is centered properly the proper spine carbon arrows will fly perfectly through it.

Good luck hunting!
Don't forget to vote!

Pinwheel 12 09-27-2004 05:00 AM

Biskit all the way for practical hunting applications. The Drop-zone is just another in a long line of expensive fallaways that you have to dink with to get set as far as correct rate of drop, etc, they have more moving parts and lanyards to worry about in the brush, and personally I feel that altho they may have their place, IMHO it certainly isn't hunting. Not to mention that it is not a less expensive, rugged, full containment rest that you do not have to worry about when stalking, or shooting tight angles from a treestand.

Remember, we are talking HUNTING rest, not "3D, wanna-be hunting rest". And for that application, you'll be hard pressed to find a better one than a biskit. (But the Bodoodle Zapper with included teflon wraps is quickly earning my respect as well;) )

Bottom line is, you can play with all of the "FAD" stuff, spend lots of money doing it, and possibly get it to be "satisfactory" for hunting, or you can spend much less money, get something simple, rugged, and durable that is easy to tune and just as accurate, and go hunting! My 3D bow is my 3D bow, and my hunting bow is my hunting bow, and my indoor bow is my indoor bow. All are different with different accessories including rests. If you try to do a "one bow does it all", you lose because you never use the absolute best equipment for each application, it becomes a "happy medium thing" and we all want to do better than that, don't we?? If one cannot afford more than one bow, then you do what you can of course of change-up in between seasons, but no-one can tell me that a drop-away is the best choice for rugged dependability in the woods and on hunting adventures. If you sit on an open field edge shooting does, sure, they may work OK, but if you start brush-busting to get back where the big-uns live, you'll be glad to know you have something much simpler and dependable attached to your bow, and you'll thank me later. THINK before you buy as to what is your #1 priority, (hunting, or 3D) and choose wisely from there. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

Stryker777 09-27-2004 06:16 AM

Never used a drop zone. I finally got a wb yesterday. I must say, I love the wb. Its accurate, easy on the vanes once set up correctly, and best of all, the arrow doesnt fall out. I like to stalk because Im probably hyperactive lol. WB is perfect for what I like to do.
Stryker777

jsasker 09-27-2004 07:38 AM

I think the aluminum bisquit works better for carbon arrows than the carbon bisquit--try it!