Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Overdraw? Whats the point? >

Overdraw? Whats the point?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Overdraw? Whats the point?

Old 09-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Overdraw? Whats the point?

Whats the point of overdraw? I dont get it. Is it because the arrow is shorter, which would make it faster?
Old 09-24-2004, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Overdraw? Whats the point?

you hit it on the nose, an over draw helps with making an arrow lighter but still having enough spine for the weight of your draw. You can always go to a lighter arrow but it may not have enough spine. so that is where an over draw helps.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Overdraw? Whats the point?

For someone who has a hard time finding arrows long enough, overdraws are a necessity. For instance, I have to have a 32" arrow for my 33 1/2" draw length. About half the carbon arrow makers do not offer their raw shafts longer than 31".

Also, for someone like me, a shorter, stiffer arrow will come out of paradox sooner, fly with better stability and better accuracy. When I went to a short overdraw on my old field archery bow, dropping my arrow length to 30", my scores immediately jumped 45 points, taking me from a good 'B' class shooter into a pretty decent 'A' class shooter.

But unless you draw 32" or more, I think carbon arrows have made overdraws a waste of time and money. Besides, when it comes to hunting arrows, I really do not like drawing a sharp broadhead to a point behind my wrist. I don't care how many guards the overdraw plate has on it, the arrow CAN fall off and get ya. It happened to me!