HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Arrow nocking and fletching (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/73663-arrow-nocking-fletching.html)

kreeves71111 09-23-2004 03:33 PM

Arrow nocking and fletching

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. This is my second year as a bowhunter. I recently purchased a Bowtech Tech29. I have been practice shooting with a Whisker Biscuit arrow rest. I haven't been pleased with what it does to my fletching, so I purchased a NAP quicktune drop away 200 last night. The guy at bass pro installed it for me. I brought in an arrow so he could watch me draw it back. I shoot Easton carbon excel arrows, and I always purchase them online. The always come nocked in a way that my odd colored fletch is pointed out. Here is my question. Whenever the guy at bass pro saw my arrow, he immediately turned the nock so that the odd color fletching was pointed down and said that they should always be pointing down. Does it matter if I am shooting a fall away rest? That really confused me, and now it makes me wonder why my arrows were always delivered with the odd color fletching pointed out. Anyway, I am happy to be on this forum, and I look forward to sharing stories and gaining much bowhunting knowledge from fellow members.

Kevin

Carwi 09-23-2004 03:46 PM

RE: Arrow nocking and fletching

I always have shot with the cock feather out. You can try it in different positions and see if your accuracy improves. The only reason I could see changing it is if you are having a fletch contact problem. I have heard and seen others shoot them in the up position but not down though.

dwaasp 09-23-2004 06:37 PM

Here is my question. Whenever the guy at bass pro saw my arrow, he immediately turned the nock so that the odd color fletching was pointed down and said that they should always be pointing down. Does it matter if I am shooting a fall away rest? That really confused me, and now it makes me wonder why my arrows were always delivered with the odd color fletching pointed out.
The fall-away rest can have fletching contact; one may need to turn the nock to steer clear of this.

You do not want to elevate the rest more than the bow designer intended or you will lose speed.

Eyeball the dropped rest launch pin, while holding the arrow at the elevation the rest would hold it when raised.

Estimate which position the nock can be turned to help avoid contact.

Leverdude 09-23-2004 06:45 PM

I shoot cock feather down from a prong style rest. When I shot fingers I shot cock feather out & I believe most finger shooters do so maybe thats why they come that way. I never bought a prefab arrow so dont know much about them.
I also thought that fall aways worked best cock feather up for rest clearence reasons.

Carwi 09-23-2004 07:38 PM

My NAP 2000RG only picks up the arrow to shooting position with the last 1.5"-2" of draw, so I don't have to shoot with the cock feather up. As a matter of fact I tried it in all postions seeking the most accurate setup but couldn't tell any difference in my groups so I went back to the cock feather out like I'm use to.