Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 GRRRRR....but..... >

GRRRRR....but.....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

GRRRRR....but.....

Old 09-14-2004, 12:27 AM

Default RE: GRRRRR....but.....

Let's see!

Unless Indiana has changed the date that bow season opens, it is still October 1. That leaves just 17 days to the eve of the season.

The new shop took 1-1/2 weeks just to crest and fletch 12 shafts. Even if the shafts had been correctly made.... unless you had not planned to shoot in the new shafts to tweak or cull any bad flyers.... the delay has you pushing the envelope.

Making matters worse, the shop screws ups and builds your shafts using incorrect setup specs, specs that you know will be detrimental to ideal flight and accuracy. You obviously know this and obviously expressed this to the archery shop as part of your reason why you were initially not going to accept the incorrectly made shafts.

However, some person(s) in this new bow shop, who should know what is best setup up for certain bows, shafts, broadheads, etc, and should know that certain setups can be particular to an individual, choose to prioritize profit and loss over suitability. After some talking, the archery shop offers you the incorrect shafts at half price and throws in 6 mechanical heads, a type of broadhead that you have never used and still do not know what brand and model is good. You take the deal and accept gear that gives you a totally different setup than you are familiar with.

Now, in the next 17 days; you have to determine what mechanical broadhead to choose, learn how to use them, determine if straight fletched shafts are going to work for you because you have never used straight fletched shafts, determine how the straight-fletched shafts are going perform when mounted with mechanicals, but if things do not work out, you have a few old shafts from a previous season.

You have the "Grrrrrrr" correct!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Though I, too, would be upset if an arrow order was incorrectly processed I would not yet lose all hope. Depending on how well the arrows were put together, the quality of the arrows themselves, your overall arrow/broadhead combination and how well your bow is tuned you may still get very good accuracy shooting those Muzzys.

I have in past years used the Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain model and the 4 blade 90 grain model with straight fletching on several of my bow/arrow setups...and with much accuracy I might add. Straight fletch is not the end of the world in my opinion. In fact, in many cases, it can be beneficial in terms of fletching clearance with the arrow rest (excluding drop aways and the WB).

Expandables are also not "as bad" as some folks will lead you to believe. As long as your bow is well tuned, your arrows are put together well and you have sufficient KE numbers for your setup then expandable broadheads can be just as effective (in some cases more effective) than a standard fixed blade head.

It is relatively close to the season so I would get started on this issue as quickly as possibly. My suggestion for an expandable head, should you go that route, would be the Rocket Steelhead 100.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:43 AM

Muzzys are quite capable of being shot perfectly straight. Critical is a well tuned bow and proper spine. I'm shooting 28.5" 7595s at 65 lbs and although I'm shooting Magnus, I've tested some Muzzys out of it, and both they and the Magnus hit with my field tips.

You shouldn't have a problem unless your bow is not tuned, and if it isn't, that would have been an issue no matter what you went into the field with. The amount of time left will not be critical unless you are not capable of doing your own tuning.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know some folks love staright fletch (it's certainly convenient and easy to tune in a shoot through), but I stopped shooting it in 1994, and won't ever go back.

While it certainly can give adequate control with a very well tuned bow/arrow combination, IME, it offers little in the way of forgiveness to form errors.

Personally I would not accept the shops offer...they screwed up...they should fix it. And if they refuse, I'd find another shop, and be sure to tell everyone in my area how bad they are...and then post it all online too

As a side note, with your set-up you have listed in your sig, I would suggest something like the Rocket Steelhead 100, or Rocky Snyper over any of the NAP offerings which are bigger cuts and/or require more energy to get open.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:14 AM

I wouldn't settle for that either ! If you have any problems with the way the arrows shoot ..............your gonna be kicking yourself for giving in !

I'd go back and demand that the re-fletch with a helical.........if they won't I'd cut loose like Jeff suggested and let everyone know !!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have them refletch the arrows but that's my own opinion.

One day I'll have to try shooting an arrow with helical fletch. I honestly can't say that I've every shot anything other than the straight (slightly offset) fletching. I had concerns using helical with my 2 prong rest. Though I guess I could always order the kit and convert my rest to a drop away.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright alright...here's the deal:

I took their offer today..and got 6 Spitfire XP's for free. So the end deal being 12 Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575's and 6 broadheads for $42. I tested briefly in the back yard (20 yards)...both the Muzzy's and the NAP's flew VERY close to the same.

BUT.....I don't know if it was me..but it appeared that with the Muzzy's..the arrow would dance around a little bit in flight...when I fully know my bow is 100% tuned right (at least with last season's arrows). The only difference is a B2 WB..and yes..my fletchings weren't going through the black whiskers. The arrow (to me) looked like it would dance left and right..but then straighten out before it hit the target. I tested my old arrows..and they flew straight. My dad said it just might be the straight fletchings taking a bit longer to settle the arrow down..does that sound close?

And the 17 days it too short? Bah...this just gives me an excuse to shoot my bow more!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:19 PM

Give NAP Spitfires a try.......they fly great and are deadly. Very good blood trail as well.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

Seems hard to be too upset, a sozen arrows, with EZE crests and whatnot has got to be close to 100 bucks

6 spitfires is 60 bucks around here

$42 for all that? not bad
Old 09-15-2004, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you have a new rest on the bow and your arrow in flight is less than desirable then I would suggest further tuning...especially if you are going to be hunting with those Muzzys. Who is to say that the arrow will be stabilized if a deer is at a very short distance?

Better safe than sorry in this case. The spitfires would not have been my first choice but in terms of actual cash equivalent it sounds like you made out.

Quick Reply: GRRRRR....but.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.