HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   LEACHES, WHISKERS, OR LIMB SAVERS??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/71717-leaches-whiskers-limb-savers.html)

wear 09-07-2004 12:19 PM

LEACHES, WHISKERS, OR LIMB SAVERS???

I've got a Mathews FX and want to quiet the bow during a shot. What would be the best and most reliable way of doing so?

I do have a Doinker stabilizer on it for shock dampening.

Thanks

Kanga 09-07-2004 12:22 PM

RE: LEACHES, WHISKERS, OR LIMB SAVERS???

If the bow does not have limb savers put them on.
As to leeches or cats whiskers thats personal preference some prefer the leeches I prefer cats whiskers.

Jason N 09-07-2004 12:43 PM

To quiet down my FX I put on Limb Savers, Leeches on string and cables, and a cable gaurd dampener. It's quiet as a mouse now.

mrfritz44 09-07-2004 12:50 PM

Judging from this board's history, I think you'll get a consensus on the Limb Savers. They work very well. The Leech/Whisker debate is a little more even. It's split by those who can't keep Leeches on their string and those who can.

Personally, I like the performance and look of Leeches but I haven't had alot of luck in retaining them. They tear off in a few hundred shots.

Whiskers are cheap, but harder to put on. They can be made to perform similarly to leeches if you trim them down to half-dollar size and position them correctly on the string.

If you don't mind potentially throwing away ten bucks on Leeches, then I'd try them first.

NorthJeff 09-07-2004 02:05 PM

In my experience you when you put the limb savers on there is a noticable differance. Then, if you add the cat whiskers as well there is just as noticable of a differance. They seem to work well together for the ultimate in quiet.

Cougar Mag 09-07-2004 02:10 PM

Limbsavers are definitely worth it for dampening noise and vibration. I was using the leeches but switched to catwhiskers........they work great, are cheaper, and will outlast the leeches in my opinion.

wear 09-07-2004 03:06 PM

How much does the additions of Limb Saver, Leaches effect the speed and/or performance of the arrow? Will I have to adjust my sights very much? I still have a few weeks before I can get into the woods, so I'm tuning up and tuning in now.

Thanks for the replies!!!!

Todd

Jason N--What arrow rest do you use with your FX? I use the Quiktune 1000.

mrfritz44 09-07-2004 03:34 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong guys.............

Limbsavers = unnoticable
Leeches = 1-3 fps
Whiskers = 3-10 fps (depending on how they're trimmed and where they're put on the string)

wear 09-07-2004 04:59 PM

Wow, if that is the only difference in speed using leaches and the limbsavers, I'm definitely going to put them on. Thanks again!

Twisted Arrow 09-07-2004 07:19 PM

Cat whiskers, hands down .