HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Drop Away rest question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/71707-drop-away-rest-question.html)

tremolo 09-07-2004 11:07 AM

Drop Away rest question

Hey guys just wondering what is the advantages of using a drop away rest. I know that you get total clearance so im guessing that ou could use a harder helical in you vains, but is there any reduced drag that anyone has seen that gives you a few more fps? And last which drop away rest is the best out there? Im not going to change my setup now because it is too close to hunting season this year, I just want to start my research now so after hunting season i have plenty of time to fine tune for next year.

Thanks in advance
Vince

NorthJeff 09-07-2004 02:12 PM

RE: Drop Away rest question

I'm just trying one out but initially it is extremely quiet, the arrow is securely held, and you experience much less prong wear. Those are the reasons I'm trying one....we'll see how it goes!

TURKEY FAN 09-07-2004 02:24 PM

i have a drop away this year..........its a trap door mach 5, and i love it! you have to try some out to get the one u prefer, there all good to me.

G2 Shooter 09-07-2004 03:34 PM

I have been using the NAP QuickTune 4000 for over a year now and I really like it. It is quieter, easier to setup and tune. I experienced a considerable gain in accuracy switching from my 1st gen whisker biscuit. My arrow is now setup as true center shot also. Try a few out but I think you will stay with a drop away after using one.

mrfritz44 09-07-2004 03:46 PM

My reason was fletch clearance. It's nice to put as much helical on the shaft as the Bitz allows as extra insurance for my fixed heads.

Bees 09-08-2004 11:15 AM

I know that you get total clearance so im guessing that ou could use a harder helical in you vains,
Yep that's the advantage.

but is there any reduced drag that anyone has seen that gives you a few more fps?
Don't think so.

which drop away rest is the best out there?
Muzzy Zero Effect.

bow4life 09-08-2004 04:51 PM

They also help eliminate torgue problems with your bow hand. The arrows not in contact with the rest after the shot, so your bow hand is pretty much taken out of the picture.

aimatdeer 09-08-2004 04:52 PM

i am shooting a trap door and i like the fletch clearance. i tried e few others and springs cables ,tubes all needing adjusted is way too much trouble and complications. the trap door works exactly as advertised!

Paul L Mohr 09-09-2004 10:10 AM

They help with fletch contact and look cool, that's about it pretty much. And notice I said help, not eliminate fletch contact. One of the biggest gripes you will hear about drop aways is fletching contact issues with an improperly set up rest. Don't use one and just assume you don't have any contact bacause you have a drop a away, check any way.

All the stuff about they make you shoot better or they help or eliminate torque problems is a myth. They don't let you shoot any better than any other rest that is set up correctly. Actually if you have a prong rest that is set up right the prongs will be forced down and stay there until the arrow is gone. You just have to have the proper nocking point and the right rest tension. If anything some of the drop a ways will magnify torque problems because they have some amount of overdraw to them.

Torque does not cause you to shoot bad, everyone torques a bow at full draw. Inconsistant torque is what causes problems. This has more to do with your form and shot sequence than it does your rest. However having your rest farther to the rear of your bow than normal will magnify the problem do to leverage. Torque effects the arrow before the shot, not during and after. Where ever your arrow is pointed before you release the arrow, is the direction the arrow is going. It does not matter what type of rest you use. Torque changes the direction your arrow is pointing in relationship to where your sights are aimed. Torque your bow a different amount each time you shoot and your arrow will be pointed in a different direction, even if your sight pin is right on the spot.

Paul

G2 Shooter 09-09-2004 01:21 PM

In reply to Paul's post:

One of the biggest gripes you will hear about drop aways is fletching contact issues with an improperly set up rest.

Any rest that is not setup properly will not shoot well.

They don't let you shoot any better than any other rest that is set up correctly. Actually if you have a prong rest that is set up right the prongs will be forced down and stay there until the arrow is gone.

I repectfully disagree. The less contact the arrow has with any part of the bow, the truer the arrow will fly. I have used many prong style rests and have not been able to tune one were the prongs dropped out of the way until the arrow cleared it. If that was the case, there would not have been a need to design a drop-away rest.

Torque does not cause you to shoot bad....... Inconsistant torque is what causes problems. This has more to do with your form and shot sequence than it does your rest. However having your rest farther to the rear of your bow than normal will magnify the problem do to leverage.

I agree

Torque effects the arrow before the shot, not during and after. Where ever your arrow is pointed before you release the arrow, is the direction the arrow is going. It does not matter what type of rest you use.

I disagree. If you use a enclosed rest such as a Whisker Biscuit, torque will be applied to the arrow until it clears the rest. I prong style rest may contact the fletching because of torque and cause the arrow to not fly straight.

From all of the posts on this site and my personal experience, I think a drop away rest is a value add to a bow's equipment. I feel confident saying that a drop away rest has improved my shooting. I have tested for fletching clearance on my setup and have found none. I can increase my offset without worrying about vane clearance and my arrows shoot like darts now. I have used flipper rests, prong rests and the WB and have gotten respectable groups but not like I'm am experiencing now. Finally I would like to say that this is my own personal opinion based upon my own personal experiences. I am not saying that it is a fact, a myth or that anyone else will experience the same thing. The best advice I can give anyone is to try as many newfangled gizmos as you want and can afford. Some work well, some are poop. You will know what works well for you and pretty soon you will have a setup that you will be happy with and shoot well with. That is what really matters. If you are happy and confident in your setup, you will make good, clean shots.

Steve