Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Has anyone tried the Bow Jack string silencers? >

Has anyone tried the Bow Jack string silencers?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Has anyone tried the Bow Jack string silencers?

Old 09-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has anyone tried the Bow Jack string silencers?

I'm looking for an alternative to string leechs other than cat whiskers.

My Patriot and the Super stealth string leechs don't get along. The only pair I've tried with it started loosing arms within 15 shots. I'd rather not press my bow so often so I'm looking for something that will last longer (other than cat whiskers).
BTW I'm shooting a 6.5 grain per pound arrow, "string whip" shouldn't be the culprit. (that could quiet possibly be a term I just made up)

Has anyone given the Bow Jacks a go?
Old 09-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone tried the Bow Jack string silencers?

Dave, I'm not familiar with the Bow Jacks. I'm just really suprised to hear that the leeches aren't working for you. I've had them on my Patriot now for about 500 shots and they still look brand new. Hope you can find something that works out for you.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:12 PM

My buddy put them on his Slayr...they're OK but still can;t beat teh old cat whiskers for speed retention and functionality.

Oh...wait. I'm not an Archery Guru with 50 years experience in the industry or a staff shooter for anybody so maybe I shouldn't answer questions in the "Tech" forum.[8D]
Old 09-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

DaveC.......I'm with you on the String Leeches not lasting on a Patriot. I got about 100 shots before they they started losing arms. Poundage and draw lengths no doubt play a role in this.

I've found that 3 lengths of cat whisker rubber when trimmed to half-dollar size bleed only 3-5 fps off the arrow and they're very quiet. I took this tip off this board about 6 months ago and I'm glad I did as my findings were the same as the other Patriot owner's. I've since saved a chunk o' change on overpriced rubber.

Try it and let us know!
Old 09-02-2004, 06:41 PM

Tried em and they lasted about as long as string leeches.In other words dont waste your money, cat whiskers are still the best thing going IMO.I also trim mine down around a half dollar.They look cool as do the string leeches but durability is nil.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:48 PM

They do let you know on the string leach packages that they are not built for durability, but what they call the best performance string silencer there is...I dont know about that.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure why the leech's failed so quickly, maybe they degraded while sitting in my tackle box since last year.

Tru-shot- too funny LoL!

Cat whiskers cut to 1/2 dollar size do look cool, but cat wiskers always carried a burnt odor to me, can anyone else smell it?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave:

FWIW, "Bubba" here did not care for the Bow Jacks. No matter how I tried to turn them, I could hear at least one of the "arms" slapping the cables on the shot. Not real loud, but not what I was after. I hate to say this, but for catwhiskers, I really like the "Allen" brand they sell at Wal-Mart. I think the rest of the Allen products are pretty poor, especially the string loop stuff. The Allen string whiskers seem to work well, last long, and have good durability. I take one of their pieces and fold it in half, then cut at the fold. Then I put that doubled, but half-length bundle on the string and inch or so from where the string serving ends. Won't cost you too much to try them.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is what you do
go to wal mart and buy the allens cat wiskers take only 2 strips, then one at a time double the piece and cut in half then double that piece and cut it until you have 8 one inch pieces.

then take and stack 4 together ( make sure not to break the wiskers apart until tied in!)
take a piece of string material or dental floss about 2 feet long and start a overhand knot around the end of the bow string at the end of the cam serving but do not tie tight, then with the wiskers with the strands going in the same direction of the string slide the wiskers into the string material (or Floss) tie in the center of the wisker material then go under and make another over hand knot at the bottom pulling tightly! then come back to the top with another pulling tightly, do this 5 times over and under and tie the last knot with a square knot cut the string material 1/4" at both ends and melt down very carefully with a lighter then fluff up the wiskers
they will puff up into a perfect little one inch ball then repeat on the other end of the string.

you will have enough of the cat wisker material left over to do another string for about a buck fity[8D]
Old 09-03-2004, 05:22 AM

I would suggest"STRING BATS". They are new this year. I have 2500 shots on mine with no problems. If you have a Cabelas Archery catalog they are on page44 at the top next to the "Bow jacks".

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried the Bow Jack string silencers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.