Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How much "Technical" Experience do you  have?? >

How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Old 09-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

I know the name of the knot, but I'm not sure as how I see knowing the names of knots is any less "anal" than those who worry about a few FPS
Let me explain it this way. You know the difference between a broadhead and a fieldpoint so if somebody is telling you to install your broadhead in a particular manner and is using a picture of an arrow equipped with a fieldpoint to illustrate, wouldn't you be a bit puzzled?
The same holds true with knots or anything else. If you have no knowledge at all you are mislead, if you do have some knowledge of the subject then it is up to you to get it straight but I sure do question the source of the information from that point forward.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:55 AM

Rangeball:

Well, hey, DUDE! I never said Pin intended to be insulting. In that he was quite specific and provided a resume to back his beliefs and desires, and that he has reiterated his original statement in various forms, he is convincing that he was and is serious about everything he has said.

Although he may not have intended to be insulting or condescending, I have no doubt that are some shooters that are presently technical impaired that ran for cover and now have second thoughts about posting at the risk of being wrong and appearing stupid. By criticizing Pin and what he has said; I am actually talking to them, the not so technical members of the bowhunting family.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kevin and I do not always agree on certain topics and I could probably take offense to this statement as well....

"Bubba and his Bow Buddies' Tech report"
....but I know that how a person's post can be interpreted and the way it was originally intended can be two totally different things.

I would kindly ask that we give it a rest at this point as I think we are starting to get into the area of.......

8. Do not engage in "flame-wars" or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to "pick a fight."
Old 09-02-2004, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

there sure seems to be a lot of experience on here.

Here's my specs.
I've been involved in archery for just about 32 years. Been shooting compounds for 30 years now. Have dabbled and tweaked over that time and learned by doing. Have NEVER had a bow back in a shop after buying it, preferring to learn what makes them work by tearing them down piece by piece and putting them back together gain, tweaking and tuning to the nth degree.
I became a staff shooter for a sales rep in 1993 till this year when he finally retired. Then got an invitation to join Martin Archery as a "Silver Shooter". Lucky me.
I retired Jan 2003 and for want of something to do I went to work part-time for Gander Mt in their archery dept at the Harrisburg, Pa. store. My reason was I needed something to do AND I see far too many people shooting ill-fitting equipment that came from someone who does not know or refuses to set people up with proper fitting bows (draw length being the main culprit).
This has been a great sport for me, shooting competitively, bowhunting, and being a staff shooter. Working in a shoip gives me great pleasure in that I can help people rather than just sell them something. It's my way of "Giving something back". Another aspect is that I can keep up with some of the technological changes in the gear, learning much along the way.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been involved in archery for over 30 years now
I started out re fletching my own arrows, milling my own sights, Stabelizers and rests in trade school
got involved for a little while building laminated recurves and widdleing out long bows.
then I started building custom Compound bows.

I am factory authorized or have been at one time to work on PSE, any thing that NAAG made which is now owned by Escalade Sports, HCA and Newberry Factory authorized Tech.

I used to build my own strings and can make a very good set of strings and harnesses but I never much liked making strings especially getting my fingers cut up by the strings and I cant work very well with my fingers taped up with gauzi tape.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

I started tinkering with bows in 1989. I worked in a mom and pop shop. worked on most of my stuff since, (til i needed a press) then I would HAVE to go to a shop. Then I bought my own press and started working in an archery shop part time. I then became the manager of that hunting department. I can do most things but it is nice to have the manuufacturers psec sheets when it comes to proper adjustments such as stings and cables, timiming marks, etc. I would say that I know a little more than the average joe.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KIDD642

I would say that I know a little more than the average joe.

Way to go Frank.... Now ya went and done it, don't ya know you're gonna offend all the average Joe's with that comment...

I would kindly ask that we give it a rest at this point as I think we are starting to get into the area of.......

quote:

8. Do not engage in "flame-wars" or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to "pick a fight."

Yeeshh Frank, you moderators spoil all the fun... ohh, gottta run, my popcorns ready...
Old 09-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Kevin and I do not always agree on certain topics and I could probably take offense to this statement as well....

"Bubba and his Bow Buddies' Tech report"
Sorry Frank, no malice intended. Just pointing out differences between opinionated reports and technical reports the best way I knew, that's all. (Funny how Bubba always gets hammered tho, huh??[8D] )

....but I know that how a person's post can be interpreted and the way it was originally intended can be two totally different things.
Yep. Said a mouthful there. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 09-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-02-2004, 10:55 PM

I started bowhunting with a Bear recurve back in the early 70's . Got side track for about 10 yrs and pick it back up about 89-90 with my first compound and thought "What have I been missing?" In around the same time I got my first computer and was an instant techie info archery junkie. I couldn't get enough info about the technology of archery and the compound. My first archery/bowhunting site I found was Bowhunting .net then Bowsite a few others that are gone now and finally here @Hunting.net. 99% of my knowalge and experence in archery is self taught. I worked in a shop for a short time to off-set some cost but didn"t agree or like what I saw so I slowly put a shop together in my basement.

I think I understand what PW is saying about a little knowadge and misinformation. I don't think people intentionally give bad information. I think a little knowadge is sometimes damaging. I'm sure I've been guilty of it myself. Thanks to people like PW,Jeff,Arthur,Len,Pabowhntr and many others here and all the sites I've haunted the knowadge base is endless. Short of engineering my own bow there is nothing I won't do for myself or others who may ask. My wife keeps telling me to open my own shop. My answer to that is as soon as I do that my passion is now a job and I'll soon start to dislike archery. I like it just the way it is. Jerry

Quick Reply: How much "Technical" Experience do you have??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.