HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   string loop"fray" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/70773-string-loop-fray.html)

doughboysigep 08-29-2004 08:08 PM

string loop"fray"

I noticed that my new string loop looked as if it had started to fray. I think it may have been from when I pinched the loop in my release (which reulted in a "misfire"). Should this be replaced immidiately or can I shoot for a few days/weeks??

nub 08-29-2004 08:35 PM

RE: string loop"fray"

[&:]If you don't change it, a couple things will most likely happen.

1. Its gonna break and you'll punch yourself in the face. I'm tellin ya now, its gonna hurt.[:o] So don't be posting any "boo hoo I broke my nose threads"! ;)

2. Your most likely going to launch that shaft some where you don't want it to go.[>:]

Flash550 08-29-2004 10:15 PM

Just replace it they are not that expensive and it's a lot less painfull.

Jeff

DaveC 08-29-2004 11:04 PM

Ditto what NUB said.
I got that call from a friend last week.
Gave himself a nice fat lip.[:-]

thenuge15 08-30-2004 05:17 AM

Mines fraying and it has only been shot mabye 1500 times in the last three months. I figure I'll keep my eye on it and when it really starts to weeken I'll get a new one. I want it to last through bow season.

Len in Maryland 08-30-2004 07:24 AM

Fraying usually occurs due to finite burrs on the release jaws.

Arthur P 08-30-2004 07:36 AM

Ditto all the above. Replace it now. Why would you want to wait and then have to replace it in the middle of the season anyway?? Get out your bowsquare and take careful note of where your knots are. Tie the new one on in exactly the same place and you'll have minimum tuning to do. Assuming your bow is properly tuned now, of course.

To keep it from fraying, check your release for burrs, as Len mentioned. I take a Q-tip and rub it gently over the surfaces of the jaws, and along the edges where they contact the loop. Anywhere the cotton sticks, that's a burr that needs to be smoothed with 600 grit emery paper.

Then, wax the snot out of your loop. Keep it heavily waxed at all times. It will function as a lube to keep wear down. It has the side benefit of keeping the loop stiff, making for much easier and quicker hookups.

c903 08-30-2004 07:38 AM

Ahem! Fraying means the material is separating, strand by strand. That computes to ...."weakening." The way you will know that the string has weakened to the point of needing replaced, is when you get a misfire or punch yourself unconcious. ;)

doughboysigep 08-30-2004 03:23 PM

Thanks Guys.

Got it replaced today at Gander Mt. - free

only cost me 40 mins.

but did encounter another "heeadache" - see my post "above" - "wrong nock point?"