HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Which mechanicals at 300fps? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/70613-mechanicals-300fps.html)

KBacon 08-27-2004 09:46 PM

Which mechanicals at 300fps?

Well guys my 70# Patriot dually is shooting my 400gr gold tips at 298 fps...

The other day I was out practicing w/ my broadheads... I was shooting the Magnus Stingers, Wackems, and Muzzy Phantoms... all of which shot right w/ my field points...

Then I thought I'd try out one of the Wasp Jack Hammers that I had in my broadhead box... Well about 3/4 of the way to the target the arrow takes off at an upward angle.. just skimming the top of the target.. Which means that it opened in flight. I was only using a single O ring.. should I just double O ring them.. or is there a better expandable head for these kinds of speeds?

I was considering the Grim Reapers.. and a few others.. I want something w/ a pretty decent cutting diameter (1.5" +).. I'm going on a bear trip in a few weeks.. and I want the best advantage while tracking these bad boys.

TIA...

pdq 5oh 08-27-2004 10:06 PM

RE: Which mechanicals at 300fps?

I've been terrorizing the woodchucks out back this summer with Snypers and Stingers, shooting my P40 Dually. The Snypers are very accurate and deadly.

nub 08-28-2004 10:39 PM

Double O's for me. The jacks are good heads.

Forgot to add; Good luck in Ontario. Know all the rules and limits allowed to take in? Let me know how the crossing goes in I.F.. I'll be going in soon after you come out.

KBacon 08-29-2004 07:15 AM

nub.. we're pretty excited. The Jacks were what I'd planned on using originally... I still might.. anyone know what size Orings I should get to replace the old ones? One of my other options is the Grim Reaper heads... also been toying w/ the idea of the aftershock heads.. I just can't get the pic that Len posted out of my head.

bldtrailone 08-29-2004 09:23 AM

kbacon if you have time do yourself a favor and try 100gr muzzy three blade fixed i think you'll be suprised at the accuracy and their is no worry about opening mid flight :)nothing cuts like a muzzy:)

JeffB 08-29-2004 09:43 AM

Ken,

Hmmmm I wonder if the O-rings you used were old and had softened/dryrotted...I shot jaks several years ago at 290-300 FPS out of a Darton Hurricane with no issues...

Try 2 of the Rocket rubber bands....

Spitfires are hard to beat if you have energy to spare. Super sharp, good cut, good blade angle, very stout..just like the Jaks.

MILLERTIME10 09-02-2004 07:30 PM

Vortex has a large cutting diameter and can withstand high speeds. I know guys that shoot them with their crossbows with no problem.

lou-lou 09-02-2004 11:31 PM

If I were you I'd listen to what JeffB says, I not trying to kiss butt, but this guys on the money in my eyes. He's not going to lie, he'll tell you the facts.

PABowhntr 09-03-2004 05:21 AM

My first choice for that cutting diameter would be a Rocky Mt. Snyper followed by the Rocket Sidewinder.

Wolf Dog 09-07-2004 11:40 AM

Kbacom
please help me find this picture I would like to see it.
aftershock heads.. I just can't get the pic that Len posted out of my head.
thanks