Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 cracked limb from bowtech >

cracked limb from bowtech

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cracked limb from bowtech

Old 08-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cracked limb from bowtech

I, personally, feel, shooting too light of an arrow is still, and always will be, the main reason for limb failure of any kind.
I never shoot under 6 grains per lb of draw weight on my Compounds or less than 9 grains on my Recurves.
I currently shoot 7 grains per lb on my Bowman and Merlin bows and over 10 grains on my recurves.
Even IBO legal 5 grains per pound is asking for trouble, eventually!
JMO
Never had a limb fail in over 10 years of shooting and don't expect to shooting the "heavier" arrows!

Sag.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:46 AM

how about naming a bow company that HAS NOT had occasional issues
I believe the term; "occasional" is the qualifier. I have never had a major malfunction with any of the bows I have owned and now own. Therefore, I will have to leave it other bow owners of other various brands to tell about their experiences with breaking or cracking limbs.

As for the vehicle comparison; the comparison is impractical.

pdq 5oh:

Rather than send me insulting me email and indicating you will have the "last" word, you should leave out the private insults and post the comments about my personal agenda, my not being "all over" other companies, and that the shop that handle the replacing of 4 sets of limbs was not capable. Those points are relevant to the discussion.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Please don't take it the wrong way guys but could ya'll please air your dirty laundry elsewhere? Or at least agree to disagree and move on.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

c903, I was merely attempting to finish the "discussion" re: my personal thoughts on you, privately. I was in no way insulting. If you like, paste my PM here as I can't retrieve it from the sent box. You've mentioned most of my points above. My stating that I would end it here (in PM) was to say, in PM. I feel this "discussion" is ended. Now have the last word.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:40 PM

wow more arguing about bows a shot a bowtech earlier this year and i shoot it alot without any problems wish a didnt get rid of it i think all bow companys have had a few limb problems!!! bowtech is a very good bow..
Old 08-29-2004, 07:14 PM

oniedaeagle:

Just a few that feel their bow has been dissed want to argue about bows.

The crux of the discussion is; for how long do you ignore what may be a deficiency in quality control (manufacturing, material, design, etc,) for the sake of excellent service, before you start being suspicious of the product and start asking questions?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, talk about opening a can of worms. The Bowtech crowd sure is a sensitive one.

I too have noticed a few more than normal post about Bowtech limbs. I don't know what is going on there, but hopefully they'll get it corrected in short order. By word of mouth their customer service is great and you shouldn't have any problems getting it taken care of.

Gentleman, lets keep this board clean. Its alright to disagree, but arguing and disrespecting others doesn't do anyone any good. We're all here to learn and hear of others experiences. All this does is clog up a post with meaningless, useless crap that I have to dig through to get to the post that relate to the original post.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though Bowtech got their limbs from an outside vendor used by several other companies. If that is the case, a "bad batch" of limbs can be sold to any of several manufacturers, and flaws in those limbs may not begin to show up until after they are in the hands of many customers, after many shots.

All companies are subject to such problems. It is how the company handles the problems that sets them apart.

Bowtech has a history of handling such problems (if one indeed exists), quite well; their customer service is second to none.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

In a general sense (not neccessarily this particular issue) I think the biggest problem is press issues...most presses are not designed for the extreme parallel limbs...and most shops I go to do not have a proper press..they are presses that are a few to several years old.....you should back the limbs out in those situations as much as possible. Apple and some other folks are starting to build presses that are designed specifically for the parallel limb bows..My shop bought a new apple press last year and modified it's existing press to handle the Mathews and BowTechs w/ parallel limbs.

As for the BowTech limbs...I've had a dozen without any problems myself and I've pounded the $hit out of them..most at 5 grains per pound or darn close. But as Vic said, the material is from Gordon, and once in awhile Gordon makes a bad run of glass...Remember the Hoyt Redline & Powerflex limbs? Blew up left and right. Gave Hoyt a bad name for a couple years, but the problem was with a huge shipment of Glass they got from Gordon. If people are going through multiple sets of limbs, either the shop/customer is doing something stupid or there is a problem somewhere else in the bow..rockers, pockets, twisted riser, etc.

Limb failures are a fairly common thing from all manufacturers, and the more bows they sell, the better your chances of hearing about them simply due to the law of averages. If I had to base my bow buying decision on choosing a company who I've never seen a limb failure from, I'd be shooting a rifle
Old 08-30-2004, 11:08 AM

AKAsharky - that is not a crack - that is a scratch/gouge - big difference.

Kj - 90% of all splintering I have seen on all bows is due to a nick/ or gouge on the edge that then splits.

Both of these seem like the limb was hit or banged by the archer.

Quick Reply: cracked limb from bowtech

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.