Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 252 fps, Respectable speed from Buckskin? >

252 fps, Respectable speed from Buckskin?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

252 fps, Respectable speed from Buckskin?

Old 08-27-2004, 11:34 AM

Default 252 fps, Respectable speed from Buckskin?

OK...I gotta say this.

When we chrono'd my Buckskin yesterday...I admit I was a little dissapointed. I cranked it up to 70...lost the peep...put my Super-Peep on...and only pulled 252 fps. I really do wish that I could be shooting around 300...but I just don't know a lot about it all.

I was told that with my 26" Beman ICS Hunter 400's tipped with 100 grain field tips...I would have enough spine for hunting while still keeping arrow light to help my speed.

I'm estimating my arrow with field tip goes 343.6 grains. The Beman ICS Hunters are 8.4 Weight Grs/Inch I believe.

Also...I am using a string loop...so that took about an inch out of my draw. The Dropzone alloed me to use a shorter arrow.

Now...I can live with the speed of 252 fps....BUT......could I get much better speed from my setup by changing arrows and still have enough spine for hunting Whitetail Deer and Black bear?

Any other suggestions are welcome too...
Old 08-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 252 fps, Respectable speed from Buckskin?

Yeah run out and buy a Bowtech before they all dissapear

Honestly tho I think your arrow is a little too light for 70lb.

The worst thing people can do when they are happy with the way their bow shoots is shoot it through a crono.

The deer are not going to be worried about how fast your arrow is going when it passes through them.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:36 PM

Leave it alone! It is shooting good, do not mess with it. I prefer a HUNTING bow to shoot between 250-265. The faster you go after that, the more critical your set up is. People shooting 300fps suffer from broad head tunning
Old 08-27-2004, 01:19 PM
bigcountry

I shoot Beman Hawks. But I am a tad light for the rating on my bow. I am surprised your running that slow. Chrono's can be funny also. Has anyone else shot thru it that has gotten closer their target? The hawks add another 10fps to my speed than my ICS hunters. I shoot a PSE mohave at 67lbs at 29" draw. I am getting 274fps with the hawks and 260fps or so with the hunters.

Old 08-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your arrow actually weighs about 410 grains tip and all, If you want to hit 300 fps for what ever reasons its your bow, but honestly I would just worry about making my bow quiet and shooting atleast a respectible 225 to 240 fps at those speeds a 400 grain arrow will penetrate through a deer to 40 yards with no problem. But if you want to shoot 300 fps this how its done you need to abide by IBO's guidelines, you know when you read an ad for a bow it usually will state a IBO speed of in your case its 305 fps, you have to have a arrow weight to draw weight ratio of 5 grains per pound. The way the factory figures IBO speed of 305 fps with your buckskin the bow is set with a 30 inch draw with a draw weight of 70 lbs shooting a 350 grain arrow thats the weight added up from all the components of your arrow: tip, shaft, fletchings, inserts, and nock.
The longer your draw length the faster your bow will shoot for example when I was younger I was all about speed I shot a XI velocity Extreme its IBO speed was 325 fps, I set mine up at 70 lbs draw with a 26.5 inch 350 grain arrow and a 31 inch draw length with a 4 inch over draw because my draw length is actually an inch longer then the 30 inch draw they use to figure IBO speed my bow was hitting a velocity of 328 fps. After shooting my bow like that for awhile I learned thats its not the best idea after a year of shooting it I turned a $500 bow into a worthless twisted limb and riser POS. I have since owned several bows and every single one of them is set up to shoot silently since I have figured out speed wont better your chance of a deer not jumping the string but if your bow shoots quiet and the deer doesn't hear your string slap then your odds are much better. I now shoot a 512 grain arrow with a 60 lbs draw with my Browning Eclipse SL becuase of my 31 inch draw length even with that heavy of a arrow I still hit a respectable 242 fps. with my setup the kinetic energy is more then enough for an arrow to penetrate an Elk and its super quiet I have yet for a deer to jump my string but I also have limb savers which I have to give a ton of credit for how quiet my bow is. I don't recommend setting up your bow for IBO speeds, I deffineately recommend going more for a AMO speed your bow will last longer and shoot much quieter. Funny thing is since everyone seems to want the fastest shooting bow these days, Bow manufacturers dont even list AMO speeds anymore. Its rediculous, I guess its insurance to them that you will buy a new bow the following year. I hope my post will help you in making your decision.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

Your arrow actually weighs about 410 grains tip and all, If you want to hit 300 fps for what ever reasons its your bow, but honestly I would just worry about making my bow quiet and shooting atleast a respectible 225 to 240 fps at those speeds a 400 grain arrow will penetrate through a deer to 40 yards with no problem. But if you want to shoot 300 fps this how its done you need to abide by IBO's guidelines, you know when you read an ad for a bow it usually will state a IBO speed of in your case its 305 fps, you have to have a arrow weight to draw weight ratio of 5 grains per pound. The way the factory figures IBO speed of 305 fps with your buckskin the bow is set with a 30 inch draw with a draw weight of 70 lbs shooting a 350 grain arrow thats the weight added up from all the components of your arrow: tip, shaft, fletchings, inserts, and nock.
The longer your draw length the faster your bow will shoot for example when I was younger I was all about speed I shot a XI velocity Extreme its IBO speed was 325 fps, I set mine up at 70 lbs draw with a 26.5 inch 350 grain arrow and a 31 inch draw length with a 4 inch over draw because my draw length is actually an inch longer then the 30 inch draw they use to figure IBO speed my bow was hitting a velocity of 328 fps. After shooting my bow like that for awhile I learned thats its not the best idea after a year of shooting it I turned a $500 bow into a worthless twisted limb and riser POS. I have since owned several bows and every single one of them is set up to shoot silently since I have figured out speed wont better your chance of a deer not jumping the string but if your bow shoots quiet and the deer doesn't hear your string slap then your odds are much better. I now shoot a 512 grain arrow with a 60 lbs draw with my Browning Eclipse SL becuase of my 31 inch draw length even with that heavy of a arrow I still hit a respectable 242 fps. with my setup the kinetic energy is more then enough for an arrow to penetrate an Elk and its super quiet I have yet for a deer to jump my string but I also have limb savers which I have to give a ton of credit for how quiet my bow is. I don't recommend setting up your bow for IBO speeds, I deffineately recommend going more for a AMO speed your bow will last longer and shoot much quieter. Funny thing is since everyone seems to want the fastest shooting bow these days, Bow manufacturers dont even list AMO speeds anymore. Its rediculous, I guess its insurance to them that you will buy a new bow the following year. I hope my post will help you in making your decision.

Yes you have helped me a great deal. Thanks man. I will be taking your advice. Oh...and my bow is quiet. I got Limbsavers and string leeches on it. What arrow would you suggest to be at the 5 ratio? 5 is ideal?

I may try those Hawks mentioned above. Wonder what size (400's) they are and if they have enough spine for blackbear.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:07 PM

If I were you I'd shoot the arrows you have. A lighter arrow like the hawk is not going to help penetration. In fact you'll lose penetration with a lighter arrow. If you want more speed lose the loop. That inch of draw is costing you about eight or nine feet per second. If you shoot better with the loop leave it on. Your arrow is fast enough for most hunting situations.