Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How high above square? >

How high above square?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How high above square?

Old 08-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default How high above square?

How high should my nock be related to my rest? Its about 1/8 now but the arrows seem to be pushing the rest down till the fletch hits the portion between the prongs. Shooting nice groups & I'm a bit afraid I might ruin everything by tinkering with it. Would it be better to lower my rest instead of moving my nock up? I tightened up the spring a bit & will see if that helps tomorrow. Does bow tuning ever end?

P.S. I'm shooting a caliper type release.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How high above square?

Try 3/8ths should help a lot,good luck!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with coyote170 try 3/8.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Thanx guys. I,ve had it as high as 1/2" but it just dont look right with an arrow strung pointing down like that. I'll move it up in the AM & see what happens.
Thanx again.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:21 PM

Are you sure you have enough clearance to begin with? You may need to move your prongs up to get more clearance between your fletchings and the shaft on the rest. Lay an arrow on your prongs and slowly pull it straight thru the rest to make sure they clear everything. You could also nock an arrow and try to eye ball it from the back. Increasing your rest tension may cause more problems than you are trying to fix. As well as making your nocking point higher than it needs to be.

Spring tension should be as light as possible and still hold up the arrow. When you shoot an arrow it pushes the rest down out of the way. If the rest is set to stiff the prongs will come back up too soon hitting the shaft as it exits the rest, throwing the tail of the arrow up.

Where your knocking point is to begin with sort of depends on the bow you have and what type of cam or cams it has. It should say in your manual where to start normally. You didn't say what type of bow you have. If you list the make an model maybe someone that has that bow or cam set up could tell you where to start.

I agree with the above suggestion if you are shooting a single cam bow without a dual track idler or something like that. My bowtech manual says 3/16 to 3/8 of inch I think. This is assuming your rest places the shaft level with the mounting hole for the rest, or close to it any way. If your rest puts the shaft higher than this, your nocking point will have to ge higher as well, and vice versa.

If your prong rest doesn't have a lot of adjustment to it, you may have to play with how it is mounted in order to get the right amount of fletch clearance and the proper height. You may have to rotate the whole rest up or down and then adjust the height on your prongs again. Sometimes you have to play with it a little bit to get it right. Other rests have an adjustment for the prong height, as well an adjustment for the whole carrier for virticle movement. Out of couriousity, what type of rest do you have?

One more reason why drop a ways are so nice to set up, but then they have thier problems as well.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-24-2004, 09:47 PM
nub

Does bow tuning ever end?
No!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Patriot is 5/16" ....almost 3/8.

Goodluck!
Old 08-25-2004, 06:15 AM

If the front of the arrow passes the riser at the same height as the berger button hole, then you should have enough clearance. Tiller will greatly affect where the nock is in relation to the string. If your best tune comes with the nock a long way above perpendicular, then adjusting tiller will bring it down as far as you like. It can take a lot of experimenting with tiller to find out from what position your best nock travel comes from, which will give you your best groups.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

straitarrow hit the nail square on the head
proper tiller adjustment plays a big part in the nocking location on the string.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:18 AM

You can nock an arrow at 90degrees to the bowstring with an even tillered bow, and raise or lower the attitude in which the arrow leaves the bow by adjusting the tiller of the bow instead of your nocking point. A severely high or severely low nocking point can be adjusted for by makingan adjustment to tiller on the bow. An arrow that is nocked real high on the bowstring will require extra tiller on the lower limb of the bow. An arrow that is nocked below 90degrees on the bowstring will require extra tiller on the upper limb in order to leave the bow in a level fashion.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>
Don't forget to vote!

Quick Reply: How high above square?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.