Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How high above square? >

How high above square?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How high above square?

Old 08-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How high above square?

The bow is an older Martin cougar speed flight with 2 cams. Am I understanding right that nock high is for one cams?
Old 08-26-2004, 05:45 AM

When using a two cam bow, you should check to see that the cams are in sync. Tiller may still be a concern if the limbs are not closely matched.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:31 PM

I sent you another email Ken. I agree, you should check to see that your cams are timed right before setting your nocking point. You can also make fine adjustments to your nocking point using your tiller. Like an 1/8 or a 1/4 of a turn or so. Don't take or add a whole turn however in order to fix an improper nock setting, that's a bit extreme in my opinion. For very small adjustment it is easier than messing with your nock on the string. But then again most prong style luanchers are adjustable as well. I would do that before messing with my tiller.

Paul
Old 08-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

The cams are timed as close as I can get them. At rest theres a hole in the cam about 1/16th" before the limb, I used this as a reference & found it easy to get them both the same. I lowered my rest another 1/8th or so giving me 1/4" more or less nock high. This seems to have fixed the clearence issue & also brought my broadheads much closer to my field points. They hit around 1" lower than field points now. I may tinker somemore or I might just leave it be as I'm shooting close enuff that I cant shoot groups with broadheads without cutting fletchings.

Might be a dumb question but, is the nock high needed because the nocking point is above the halfway point on the string & thus causes the top limb to be further back at full draw in other words tilted back?
Old 08-26-2004, 08:08 PM

No, the nock high is to make sure the arrow clears the rest properly. Did you just move the prongs down, or the whole rest or carriage assembly?

Is what I mean, did you move the arm that the prongs attach to, or just change the angle of the prongs? You may need to rotate the whole rest around it's mounting bolt (down) to get the arm lower so your fletching clears, then adjust the prongs in accordance to get the nocking point where you need it. I never asked this, but you do have a square right? Or are you just eyeballing it? The fact that your broad heads are hitting low indicates that you still have a nock high situation. I bet if you paper tuned it you would still get a nock high tear. That's because instead of fixing the clearance issue, you took the bow out of tune instead to correct it.

I just read your email about the rest. It sounds like you have a basic TM hunter style rest. They are a bit hard to adjust. You move one adjustment and another moves as well. If you want a better prong rest the NAP quick tune 3000 is very good, or some of the more adjustable GFK's Maybe $40 to $90 depending on how fancy you want to go. I think the quick tune 3000 is like 60 bucks or so. Nothing really wrong with those TMhunter style rests though. They are pretty bullet proof once you get them set up, there just a pain to set up is all.

I also read the part about you lowering your nocking point and the tail high tear got worse. That is exactly what I was talking about when explaining why you start with a nock high situation. Because too low of a nocking point will also show up as a high tear because of the launcher throwing the shaft back up as it exits the rest.

I think I will take some pictures for you tomorrow or this weekend to clarify things for you. I have a rest like the one you are talking about on my martin right now. I can use it to demonstrate.

Hey at least you are getting closer and feel like you have a handle on it. I think we can get it better though. I also found the links I was talking about and will send them your way as well. Tons of info for you to look thru when you feel like it.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

I tried both ways adjusting the rest & ended up lowering the whole thing & raising the prongs. Just lowering the prongs wasn't cutting it. I did a little more tinkering last night & I'm going outside in a bit to see if the broadheads got any closer.

I dont have a real bow square but have been using a combination square. the short leg is wide enuff to clear my string loop & stay on the string & I place it alongside a nocked arrow to check the nocking point. Gonna get one, just havent gotten around to it yet.
Its about 5/16 high now, sure looks funny at rest with the arrow pointed down like that tho. I'll check back in later & let you know how it went.
Thanx a bunch!
Old 08-27-2004, 02:43 PM

3/8 is a good starting point
Old 08-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Ok, much better now. Shot it at about 5/16" high & after adjusting my sight & getting some decent groups I screwed on a thunderhead. Shot a field tip & shot a broadhead. Very close about an inch apart & on the same horizontal plane. Picked another spot & drilled it with a field point then I sat down & smoked a butt. Finished my cigerette & shot a broadhead & cut the feather from the first arrow! To say I'm a happy camper would be the understatement of the year!

Learned something about tuning a bow also, dont settle. I was ready to live with my broadheads & field points hitting different. Already had marked my sight where to set it for the different heads. Didnt think it was possible.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for your help!
Old 08-27-2004, 06:48 PM

Excellent, glad things worked out for you. It can be a bit pain staking at times, but well worth the effort when it all comes together. Now the key is to not touch the set up on the bow. Don't decide to get a new rest, or try different arrows or adjust your poundage. Unless you want to do all of this over again.

I had a feeling once you got the contact problem solved things would start coming together. I was afraid you were not understanding what I was saying about the rest. You figured it out though in the end. You know that if you would have settled for what you had it would have always been nagging at you in the back of your head. Sitting in a tree stand for hours with nothing to do can make you think about lot's of things. One being that maybe you could have tuned your bow just a little bit better. Well now you don't have to worry about it anymore. Confidence in your equipment is a big advantage in this game.

Good luck this season,
Paul
Old 08-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you Paul.

You helped a bunch & hit the nail on the head when you said that a low nock could get my rest to flip up the nock & cause a nock high tear.
Every time I shot thru paper I got a nock high tear & lowered my nock & made it worse. Duh. lol

I'm gonna try real hard not to tinker with it now that it works. I have another bow to play with anyway. I shot the other one fingers last year but switched to a release just to see what the fuss was all about. I may just set the other one back up for finger shooting again. I may change my mind now that this bow is tuned well, but I shot just as well with my fingers as I do with a release. Oh, well Thanx again.

Quick Reply: How high above square?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.