HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   sight pins (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/69544-sight-pins.html)

tree hunter 08-18-2004 07:38 PM

sight pins

i just bought a new mathews LX bow i got a four pin sight what yards should i set the pins at replies would be greatly appreciated.

H80Hunter 08-19-2004 12:15 AM

RE: sight pins

Depends what your style is, because I am pretty sure that you can shoot out to 25-30 yards on one pin... My bow (Bear TRX) I have set at 25 and 35 yard s for deer hunting...

I guess If you need 4 pins, do 20-30-40-50

Bill_NY 08-19-2004 07:57 AM

I shoot a Mathews Ultra 2. I use an adjustable site. Setting yours up should be just about the same. I agree with H80Hunter in that up to about 25 yards I use one pin. My bow is set at about 57 pounds. Higher draw weight may allow you to use one pin out beyond 25 yards. After that, It really does come down to personal prefference. The norm would be 10 yard increments or you could go down to 5 yard increments. Whatever you choose keep it simple so you dont get confused at the moment of truth and that big buck comes into bow range.

adams 08-19-2004 08:21 AM

I believe it is completely personal preference. If you shoot a lot one or two pins is plenty. You'll know how your bow shoots and where to put the pin. If you don't shoot as much you might fair better with 3 or 4 pins. 2 pins one at 25 yds and the other at 35 yds works well for my with my current set up. Last year I hunted with just one pin at 25yds.

dwaasp 08-19-2004 11:59 PM

The top pin distance is where you expect to shoot most frequent: that will help with the mispin justification for a miss.

For a shooting range, 20 yds is more common, particularly indoors.

For hunting, whatever distance your most repeated shot is made: 20-40 yds. With bows shooting over 300 fps, close pins can get confusing. This can be helped using a tween sight pin, sight picture, or a little Kentucky Elevation: with Kentucky Elevation do not elevate out of the edge of the kill zone on the animal, because one’s distance Guesstamation can be off also.

rangerwade 08-20-2004 07:00 AM

I have that same bow. I have been shooting for around 15 years, and force of habbit causes me to always start off with a 20 yard pin. I then set the rest at 10 yard increments. That 20 yard pin is a great start for me 'cause if the animal is less than that, I know that pin will work. The main thing you should consider is how accurate/effective you are at a distance that you feel that you can make a good killing shot. Just don't forget to practice and have fun, there is very little will subsitute that. It took me a while to get use to the definite "wall" that the LX has!!! Good Shooting!

JimboHunter1 08-20-2004 07:52 PM

20, 30, and 40 yard pins here.

nubo 08-20-2004 08:11 PM

I agree with H80hunter 20,30,40 and 50yrds,and congrat's on the new bow Mathew's makes a great bow.

nubo