Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

No Peep Users!

Old 08-22-2004, 08:26 AM

Default RE: No Peep Users!

Well, just got back in from the bakyard again, after using my chronograph. I'm shooting a PSE Whitetail Extreme, 60lb bow, approximately 427 grain Readhead Supreme carbon arrow, (includes 100 grain field point).

My speed with rubber tubing and peep sight = 217 fps
....without rubber tubing and peep sight = 229 fps

This was measured at 15 yards, while shooting from 20 yards away.

I also wanted to gage my arrows speed right at the block target. Of course, it's possible to send an arrow right through the front of the chronograph in doing this; but I think I'm becoming accomplished enough not to do this. So.....

Arrow speed to block target from 20 yards = 222 fps
...and to block target from 30 yards away = 219 fps

I've always wondered what the actual arrow speed was at the target. Not a huge amount of difference; arrow's seem to keep their speed pretty much, from point of origin to a target that's within hunting range.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 08-22-2004, 07:14 PM

I have used one for the last 3 years and would not ever go back to a peep. I wear glasses so it definatly helps me out in low light conditions.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

I never even thought about useing one until I saw all good you guys say about the no peep so I ordered one today.Hope I don't regret it.My shooting eye sees a halo around eveything so hopfully this will help.Those peep sights are hard to see thru and early morning at dusk shots as of know are a no no.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:35 PM

I have though about trying one in the past but didnt think I could get used to shooting with both eyes open. Read all these raving posts so I ordered one and will give it a try. Hopefully it will work out good for me.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

The no-peep has really helped me catch myslef when my form breaks down, once set up you really don't even realize you are using it ( it just becomes automatic). I will say when you set it up make sure you set the no-peep to you, don't make any adjustments in the way you normally shoot to make it work.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:22 PM

I am thinking of having the shop intall one before i pick up my Justice this weekend so i can try it out and see if it will work for me.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Krotalus,
No need for the shop to 'Install one" for you........it just sits underneath your sight bracket and is held down by the same screws.
It's such an individual set-up that it would be impossible for a shop to set it up for you ahead of time.
You will need to tweak it yourself.
If you decide on it (and I highly recommend you at least TRY it) get ahold of me, I will walk you through it.
I've set up a bunch of these on my bows and helped others do it properly so I know some tricks.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Matt or anyone who knows,
What's the diff. between the new models and the older models? I haven't seen any of the new ones yet.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

gromage.......
I think they actually took my advice at Timberline as one of my only complaints with the older style was the fact that the lens was flush with the end of the unit which caused some glare problems in certain lighting conditions.
I used to make a little hood for it to prevent this.
They have the lens recessed fully and I can't see any glare problems at all with my new one.

also the Dot/circle is sharper and more precise and seems brighter. All in all it's much clearer and nicer to use.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:13 PM

thanks for the offer Matt. i just figured i would have them install it before i picked it up then i could tweak it once i started shooting.