Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Came up with a broadhead target today >

Came up with a broadhead target today

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Came up with a broadhead target today

Old 08-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Came up with a broadhead target today

I've been debating on buying a Block or similar target to shoot broadheads in to. Well today I was talking to my neighbor and he had an old wrestling mat laying in his shed he didn't want. I took it and cut it into 12 X 20 or so strips and stacked them. Then I used two boards and some ratchet straps to cinch it all together. Works great so far and honestly isn't too hard to pull out of. I'd say its easier pulling than most 3D targets out there. And, the price wasn't too shabby either.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:41 AM

Default RE: Came up with a broadhead target today

That sounds good.
My favorite is to cut up 2 inch strips of sheets. Stuff them in a small box and put on a bullseye sticker. When the box wears out, duct tape a new front and back on. Works great!
Old 08-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is my home mader for traditional archery:

And here is my home mader for my compound:

Old 08-19-2004, 05:10 AM

Here's mine. For field points only though. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown

Old 08-19-2004, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bobco, how is the compound on holding up? I've been debating on making on like that. I seen you post that a while back and that looks real good.

I'm pretty happy with the wrestling mat deal I came up with. But, once its disposed of, I'll have to do something else. Wrestling mats are hard to come by in these parts.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bobco, how is the compound on holding up? I've been debating on making on like that. I seen you post that a while back and that looks real good.
Well I shot the original one (the one that you see in the picture) for about seven months and about 3500-4000 shots. I shoot five blade innerlocs mostly, but also shoot muzzy 145 grain four blade and stos 145 grain two blade, bow bow is set at 70 pounds, I have a 31" draw, and I'm using 2317 eastons. Don't get me wrong, you do pull little pieces of the target out on every session. But for the most part, I'm happy. I had to replace the insulation last month and it cost around $25 to replace. Some of the old pieces on the very top and bottom were reusable.

I compare this to the Morrell Six Shooter that I got for father's day, and after about 200-250 shots I am getting pass throughs. I never got a single passthough on my home made target.