HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   I'm an IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/69075-im-idiot-idiot-idiot.html)

Dubbya 08-14-2004 12:58 AM

I'm an IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT

here's the deal. I had my bow shooting great, broadheads and fieldtips together just fine. Arrosw appeared to be flying straight and all that good stuff. so then I get bored (bad idea) and start reading about center shot and all that. hmmm so for some reason I think "you should paper tune." ok, well the first shot from about 6 ft. has a 2 inch tear high and to the right. so i start adjusting and shooting and adjusting more. I did this for 2 hours (unsuccessfully) and stopped before I got too mad and did something stupid. So needless to say I never did get any bullet holes. And now the whole thing is probably all out of whack. Looks like I get to start all over again. WHY oh why did I do this??? And any idea as to why everything was shooting so well and then when I paper tune it will darn near tear a 8.5x11 in half? thanks everyone.

Buckem 08-14-2004 06:49 AM

RE: I'm an IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT

I'm certainly no expert at paper tuning but did learn the hard way. The good folks on this sight and Easton's paper tuning guide helped alot.
I took a big box and cut out half of it and set it in front of my target,leave enough room so the arrow could pass all the way through, and make sure it is parallel to the target! (first of my mistakes) Stand only 6' away from the paper and shoot threw it. Make adjustments so you get a good hole. Make minor adjustments to nock first until you only get a left or right tear,then adjust your rest.(second of my mistakes) The adjustments should be small cause if you over correct you can get the same tear as before you started tuning.
After that hole looks good move back to about 10 yards and fine tune your bow. Remember small adjustments one at a time. I was about ready to throw my Outback away when I first tried to tune it. I felt exactly like you. I also had to buy a new release with a 360* swivel head cause my Winn Flight was twisting my string @ full draw. Now I'm shooting awesome groups out to 40 yards. Stick with it and you'll get that sucker shooting great again in no time and if tuned right much better groupings.
(Anyone please add to this cause as of 3 weeks ago I didn't know what the hell I was doing as far as paper tuning but learned real quick and learned alot about my equipment as well!!)

Arthur P 08-14-2004 06:59 AM

I'm an IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT
You shoot a bow-n-arra don'tcha? So, that's a minor factoid that is taken for granted. It goes with the territory.[8D]

legacy22 08-14-2004 08:50 AM

I would guess that even though you hit where you were aiming, the arrow was correcting itself in flight and therefore u hit where u aimed. Its important, in a lot of peoples opinions to have proper arrow flight. Myself included. Its hard to believe that your broadheads maintained the same path as your field tips, given that paper tuning result. What I would do is download easton archerys tuning guide. It will explain what each tear means and how to correct the problem. Yes, you're gonna have to start over, but the outcome will be more true and reliable than your old setup, even though u hit where you aimed. Here's a link for ya.... http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/

Carwi 08-14-2004 12:51 PM

I do the same procedure that Buckem mentioned. I paper tune 3, 6, and 12 feet then I group tune to fine tune the process. This has alway worked great for me, just remember that paper tuning is a great starting point although opinions differ. I too have great groups now out to 45yds when I get a bullet hole in paper. I don't understand it either that your broadheads hit the same as your field tips given that much of a tear when your paper tuned. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on this one.

Dubbya 08-14-2004 01:32 PM

I don't know why i'm having such a problem, i've paper tuned plenty of times and never had this problem. Oh well, wish me luck.