Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I am 14 and My bow is set at 50# and I am wondering if I should get a bow with a higher draw weight. >

I am 14 and My bow is set at 50# and I am wondering if I should get a bow with a higher draw weight.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I am 14 and My bow is set at 50# and I am wondering if I should get a bow with a higher draw weight.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:38 AM

Default I am 14 and My bow is set at 50# and I am wondering if I should get a bow with a higher draw weight.

I am 14 and My bow is set at 50# and I am wondering if I should get a bow with a higher draw weight. Should I do this or not? Also if I got a bow string without a peep sight in it what will that cause if my bow came with a peep sight in the string? Will it cause any damage to my bow?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I am 14 and My bow is set at 50# and I am wondering if I should get a bow with a higher draw weight.

My advice is that you shoot what is comfortable. make sure that you can pull it back at any time, any weather condition. If you feel that 50lbs is too light, then you may want to get a bow that is 50-60lb. This will allow you to adjust the draw weight as you get older and stronger. Peep sights can be added to almost any string without damage. good luck.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:52 AM

Default RE: I am 14 and My bow is set at 50# and I am wondering if I should get a bow with a higher draw weight.

Thank you
Old 08-12-2004, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

50lbs is plenty for deer hunting.The main thing is being able to shoot it comfortably and ACCURATELY and know your own limit as far as how far you can shoot and still have your arrows grouping well.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:01 AM

Yup, just go with what you are comfortable with. Its not a contest to see how much you can pull back. If you can pull 60 or higher and you are uncomfortable in doing so, you are at a disadvantage. Also, weather can play a part in it too. I could pull back a great deal more in warm weather as opposed to cold weather. 50 is plenty, and if thats what you are comfortable with, stick with it. As for the peep, they can be taken out or put in pretty easily but make sure if you dont know what you are doing to go to a pro shop or ask someone to show you how. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:31 AM

Don't feel bad about using a bow with a 50 lbs limit,I'm 32 and my bow goes to 65 lbs,But I am only up to 50 lbs,This is my first year hunting so I am staying with 50 lbs to make sure I don't hurt my self,And to give my self a better shot at being able to pull it back whenever I have a shot,

50 lbs will get the job done,Don't worry about that,Now if you think you need more draw weight,Then just make sure you can handle it.

Good luck out there.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:37 AM

One thing about "comfort" to consider. I would call a draw weight comfortable if you can point the bow at the target and slowly draw the arrow back to your anchor point, holding the bow as steady as you can. If you have to reach for the sky to draw your bow and jerk back, it is too much weight, and also not very safe. In fact, some ranges will not allow you to shoot if you cannot draw your bow straight back.

All that being said, if you can draw straight back at 50 lbs, you might consider a 50-60 lb bow as some have mentioned, and work up to 60. With the speed and efficiency of today's compound bows, I see no reason to go much higher, unless of course you plan on hunting big game in Africa.

JMAC
Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 AM

go with what your comfortable with...everything will fall into place after that if you practice!
Old 08-12-2004, 09:24 PM

Shoot a weight that's comfortably for you. Lots of practice and great shot placement....you'll have no problems.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:32 AM

Comfort comes from not only draw weight but also draw length. Some of the better youth bows have synchronous weight/length adjustments. In other words, as you increase the draw length the draw weight will increase likewise.

If at all possible, and as Legacy22 recommended, get to a reputable PRO Shop for some help. You are the future of bow hunting and they should be willing to bend over backwards to help you.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: I am 14 and My bow is set at 50# and I am wondering if I should get a bow with a higher draw weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.