HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Questions Re: Quik Spin vanes? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/68684-questions-re-quik-spin-vanes.html)

wolf6151 08-10-2004 12:20 PM

Questions Re: Quik Spin vanes?

I've read several posts of people that were successful and happy with these vanes. Those of you that have tried them, how did you fletch them, straight, right offset, or right helical? What spin rate will these vanes give if fletched straight and would it still be enough to stabilize a broadhead? Thanks for responses and info.:)

Roland from Calif. 08-10-2004 12:41 PM

RE: Questions Re: Quik Spin vanes?

Haven't done them completely straight, but they fly great with about 1 degree offset. I tried helical and they didn't seem to perform as well.

NorthernMN 08-10-2004 12:49 PM

I have only fletched them with offset for 1 - 3 degrees. I couldn't notice much difference within that range. I have not tried helical as it is not recommended with these vanes. I did get very good broad head flight with the Quickspins. Although they aren't the most durable vane on the market I think they are a great vane for a hunting arrow.

c903 08-11-2004 01:34 AM

Correct me if I am wrong.

Doesn't the manufacturer of the "Quikspin" and the retailers of the vane advertise and express that one of the main features of the vane, is that the vane can be fletched either straight, right offset, or right helical, and obtain the same accuracy and groups with either setting, and do so better than any other vane?

Has not the same feature of fletching straight, offset, or helical been expressed here on these forums by some shooters who use the vane and/or have tested the vane?

If the vane does not do any better than some other vanes at certain ranges, does not do so well with broadheads for some shooters, should not be fletched helical, and are not very durable; how can the vane be a great vane for a hunting arrow? That implies that accuracy in the field is acceptable when accuracy and durability is just so-so.

5 shot 08-11-2004 04:01 AM

http://www.broadheadtests.com/FEATURES2.html here is my review of them, it should help answer your questions

c903 08-11-2004 03:22 PM

Some say the vane is durable, many have said the vane is not durable. :eek:

What makes me wince each time I read it, is when someone says that an arrow that is mounted with the "Quikspin" will fly very good when shot off a bow that is not tuned well or not tuned at all.

What does that mean? That an arrow shot from a bow that is not well tuned or not tuned at all will correct itself in flight as long as the shaft is mounted with "Quikspin" vanes? Hogwash! Hype is hype, but that hype takes the cake.

NorthernMN 08-11-2004 03:36 PM

You know C903, for someone who have never tried these vanes, you sure have lots to say about them. Nothing worth reading, but lots to say none the less. As I recall you are qualified to talk about them because "I know something about archery!" Kind of like a butcher know something about animals. However, I wouldn't take my dog to him if he was sick. You crack me up.:D

BowElkFreak 08-11-2004 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: c903

Correct me if I am wrong.

c903 - HOLY COW! Here we/you go again. Haven't you beat this to death yet? I'm about to go out in the back yard, kill my horse and start shooting it again and again with my QuikSpins. I want to know the feeling of killing a dead horse with them vs my normal vanes. Figure I can compare accuracy, arrow flight and penetration on my dead horse. I wonder if my QuikSpins are better than feathers when shooting at my dead horse. Wonder if they are noisier and my dead horse will hear them coming?

WOW..

Now on a serious note.. I posted my personal tests here and mine are fletched at 1 degree offset:
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=713501

c903 08-11-2004 07:19 PM

If you have personally had success with a bow or a certain piece of gear, that is great. However, just because something worked for you does not make your success or your willingness to accept a lower degree of performance and satisfaction a universal one-size-fits-all.

It is quite simple. If you are satisfied with the performance of certain gear, then ignore it when something you like is not liked by others or is picked apart by someone. There may be others that want to hear all the opinions they can before they make a choice. Not everyone bites on just the hype.

As for the age-old and tiring defense that someone must have personally used or tested something to evaluate a design and its intended and claimed performance, the defense and belief is ludicrous. However, such a weak defense is understandable if the person does not have the necessary experience to evaluate and compare beyond the embellishments.

I take the "Holy Cow....have you not beat this to death..." to mean, "Why don't you shut up and let others hear just my opinion, and the opinions of others that agree with me and think like I do?"

NorthernMn:

Go back an grab the quote that refers to your paraphrase, "As I recall you are qualified to talk about them because "I know something about archery!" When you copy it in its actual context, what I said is not as you insuate. :eek:

BowElkFreak 08-11-2004 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: c903

As for the age-old and tiring defense that someone must have personally used or tested something to evaluate a design and its intended and claimed performance, is ludicrous. However, such a weak defense is understandable if the person does not have the necessary experience to evaluate and compare beyond the embellishments.

c903 - I have alot of experience in archery and as you should know from my other posts I'm usually hesitant to change. Another thing I am is an engineer. Plain and simple, to fully test any theory you need to test that theory. These are the basic principles of the scientific method, things we learn in grade school. Have you done this, NO, yet you are an expert on the subject?!?

Yes, you can question design, basic principles, blah.. blah, but you still need to perform that test. I personally was skeptical, curious, the works. I bought some, tried some and have based my opinions on those tests. I see you as the perfect candidate to try them. You have your theory, so go prove or disprove it. What's the worse thing that could happen? You might prove yourself correct or you might end up with a new vane!

You complain about hype, yet live by it. Your opinion is based on nothing but your personal opinion about performance and design. You have your opinion and you are entitled to it. I respect that fact you have an opinion, but it almost amazes me how you question these things so stubbornly without trying them.