HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Some thoughts on the whisker buscuit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/68513-some-thoughts-whisker-buscuit.html)

atlasman 08-10-2004 11:38 PM

RE: Some thoughts on the whisker buscuit

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

[b]I was tuning a BowTech Black Knight tonight. It had a G2 WB on it and the customer was using vanes. Within 10 shots one of the customer's new vanes was ripped halfway off. I got a second arrow and within 20 shots the vanes were getting rippled. Funny how that just seems to happen to me.:D

Obviously that is not a normal situation. No one would be using the WB rest if it was that hard on fletchings.

I just find it amusing sometimes that so many people out there can be seeing and experiencing such polar opposite results from the WB.

Those that don't like the rest state that it tears up fletchings like a shredder.......slows bows down noticably.......bounces arrows all over the place and freezes to a brick at 32F........and it's loud as a church bell.

Those that like the rest say it's fine on fletches...B2 especially......speed loss is minimal to none.......very accurate.......never freezes and tough as nails.

I find it very hard to believe the same rest could perform on the very opposite ends of the spectrum from one person to the next.

I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle..............and people's personalities turn it into a Ford vs Chevy kind of thing.

:eek:

Straightarrow 08-11-2004 05:41 AM

All rests have negatives. Depending on what's important to you, it's pretty easy to dislike a rest that another thinks is gold. For instance, I wouldn't even try a MZE rest. The first time I picked one up, I knew I would never even put it on my bow. For me, it's simply too heavy, with too many moving parts, to use as a hunting rest (I use no other kind). I have little experience with the MZE, but everytime I've heard someone shooting one, it seemed too loud for me to consider it as a hunting rest. In fact, I've yet to see a drop-away that I'd consider for hunting, yet I see plenty of hunters using them. Certain features are more important to some than others.

The local shop that I frequent, is owned by a hard-core hunter who loves the WB. He recommends them, so naturally lots of his customers shoot them (probably 90%). I shoot with these guys in summer 3-D leagues and winter indoor leagues and have yet to see one of these guys unhappy with his WB. If it didn't work well for hunting or they couldn't hit what they were aiming at, I doubt they'd be very happy with it. It is my opinion that the WB offers some advantages over the MZE that make it more suitable for hunting puposes. The fact that there are some who don't see it this way, is okay with me. I'm most concerned with what's on my bow and what I prefer. Add in the shear volume of hunters who prefer to shoot the WB and that have good results, and you have a rest that is undoubtably a good one.

CBM SC 08-11-2004 06:45 AM

Len.........10 shots ??

Was the arrow fletched properly, good adhesion, CAP recommended vanes (Bohning, AAE Speed Flytes, Marco's,etc. ) ??

Hard for me to get [8D]..........I've got thousands of shots through a B2 with no problems with Axis arrows, Bohning vanes on a mild helical,.......I scuffed the arrows up.......cleaned them......glued the fletchings with Bond tite and added a dab of Goat tuff to the front and back of each fletch !!

bigcountry 08-11-2004 07:29 AM

Wow, I am so shocked on how emotional people get over this WB. People who have them seem to get very emotional over the topic and see's no negative. People who have both and success with both or all types seem to take an objective stance seeing negatives and positives and bascially says "whatever works for you, don't matter to me, cause I can shoot them all".

Len in Maryland 08-11-2004 07:44 AM

CBM SC:

This is a case where I was brought a new bow with a B2 WB and a new set of arrows. Situations like this happen all the time in my shop because we have so many mass merchants within 10 miles of my shop. I said 10 shots but it could have been 8 - I wasn't counting that close.

Many of you, reading all the negatives about this rest, have learned to deal with them and do corrective action. The same can be said of the MZE and many other rests on the market. I do things to the MZE and other rests that prevent certain mishaps, and have advised some of the manufacturers. In fact, I was on the phone with Muzzy just yesterday telling them about some of my "fixes". The Muzzy teflon slide, for instance, is the result of my efforts.

There are many who don't visit these forums and therefore don't have the knowledge that some here have about the subject. Since the customer wants the arrows refletched with feathers anyway, I figured I'd at least get the basic tune started since my arrow department won't get to the arrows for a couple of days. What happened was real in both the fletching ripping and then a flight problem with the other arrow. In fact, 3 of the customer's 6 arrows wouldn't even spin properly, so I marked the bad ones for him and used the better ones.

It was an incident that was real and could be commonplace for many who don't have your knowledge. It is fact and not a concoction, as is sometimes insinuated by the likes of misguiding people like Atlasman, who takes distortion of statements to a new level.

I have finished tuning the bow and will check the results again once the arrows are refletched. The customer will be happy with his choice of products and that is all that counts. As I do many times a day, I take a bad situation and make it workable/enjoyable. Satisfied customers is good business, no matter what their equipment choice may be.

JeffB 08-11-2004 07:59 AM

Guys who run my shop don't care for the WB at all (and thats putting it nicely, the language filter would have a field day if I posted what they actually say :D), but they sell more of them than any other rest currently. It's what folks want. Does CAP advertise alot? I've never seen much in the bowhunting rags...do they advertise on the Outdoor networks? (I don't get them, so I have no idea)

I don't have a ton of experience with them, but I was helping one young kid who had bought a new Q2 last year, and it definitely was giving the fabled "false" tune...which definitely bugs me. I was watching behind him and the arrows came out straight and then sort of destabilized at 10 yards or so and got sideways. It also tore/wrinkled up his arrow fletching within a few shots(new arrows). Whenever the shop re-fletches for a WB user they go with Marco vanes instead of the stock duras or aaes.

One of these days I'll try one of the B2s just to draw my own conclusions, as I like the full containment, but I can also get that with the QAD and gain a couple of FPS and not have to worry about what fletching I want to use. I suspect if I was one of those folks who hangs his/her bow in a treestand with an arrow nocked, I could see the big advantage in the WB...but I always hold my bow while hunting.

So for those who love the WB, I'd like to hear why you prefer it? It it the containment? lack of parts? to me that seems to be it's only advantages, yet it has a larger list of disadvantages (some speed loss...particular about fletching, false tunes, having to "trim" it, using an alum WB with carbons works better for many, etc.) And that's a serious question. I'm not looking for arguments, just trying to understand why so many love this rest that seemingly is very fickle.

And I don't like the MZE either...so don't think I'm picking on you...I'm truly curious:D

atlasman 08-11-2004 08:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

It was an incident that was real and could be commonplace for many who don't have your knowledge. It is fact and not a concoction, as is sometimes insinuated by the likes of misguiding people like Atlasman, who takes distortion of statements to a new level.

WTF did I say to deserve that Len?

I never said your story wasn't true and I never insinuated it was concocted. I simply pointed out that it is more likely an arrow issue or some other combo of things to cause such an extreme situation that you saw. You can't possibly tell me that you think vanes tearing off arrows after 8 shots is normal for the WB...........and still thousands of guys use them every day. Now if you CONSISTENTLY see this happen on bows in your shop with arrows you KNOW are solid then that is a totally different story. Using one dramatic case as an example can have ANY result from flawless to poor...........the normal or average experience will most likely unfold differently. I had a Taylor Made driver that I was hitting at the range and the head split like a melon...........are all Taylor Made drivers bad........or prone to cracking?? Of course not, they replaced it and I have been trouble free for 5 seasons now. What paints the truer picture of a Taylor Made driver?? The dramatic odd ball event of failure at the range or the five years of solid service??........depends what picture you're trying to paint I guess.

You make a post about not liking when people take these discussions to a personal level and then you come after me for no reason.

Why would you say I am misguided??

You should go back and read my previous post because I did not say or mean any of things you accuse me of.

CBM SC 08-11-2004 08:29 AM

Len........you know how posting goes.........I didn't word things exactly what I meant ![8D] Never meant to imply that it did not happen .........I was just curious about the fletching job !

atlasman 08-11-2004 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: JeffB

So for those who love the WB, I'd like to hear why you prefer it? It it the containment? lack of parts? to me that seems to be it's only advantages, yet it has a larger list of disadvantages (some speed loss...particular about fletching, false tunes, having to "trim" it, using an alum WB with carbons works better for many, etc.) And that's a serious question. I'm not looking for arguments, just trying to understand why so many love this rest that seemingly is very fickle.

It is solid, silent, accurate, arrow can't fall off, reasonable price, easy to adjust and simple to use.

The negatives you list are speed loss which at 2 fps I see as a non issue........my cat whiskers, nock, loop, peep etc all slow me down more then that yet no one ever mentions speed loss as a negative to those products. Fletching damage is also a non issue to me considering I just haven't seen it.......I must be lucky I guess. I have hundreds of shots through my B2 and no signs of vane damage yet. Lots of people say they see it.......my guess is the WB is hard on vanes on a poorly tuned bow. You don't have to trim the B2.......and I never trimmed my original........again non issue. I have no problems using the carbon insert WB so I'm not sure on the alum insert thing you mentioned..........never needed it.

CBM SC 08-11-2004 09:08 AM

Jeff .......I started but my post just gets long and rambling !

So .......in my case........I say why not :

I hunt out of a lot of lock on's without bow holders and it's nice to be able to lay your bow across your lap.......and it stays ready to go ! I have done a lot of that holding your bow for 5 hours ! [:'(];)

When I do get my bow out of my bow holder on my climber.........I don't have to worry about where my arrow is !

The WB is quieter than any of my previous rest ........I think.......due to the lack of moving parts !

I haven't had much fletching wear issues ........and none with the B2 and Bohning fletched as I described above to Len !

Tuning.......well.......this is the first set up I have ever had that will group fixed blades and field points ! I'm sure some of my other set up's could have ........but I didn't know squat about tuning back then . Point is..........I don't think your average Joe is going to be able to tune a drop away , prong style, or WB any different ! What could happen......is he can get a bullet hole at close range with a WB and the bow still not be tuned ! A problem for sure ........but you can't hold that against a rest.............that really is a person's lack of tuning knowledge that is the problem there...........right ??? !!

And my lanky old 30" draw and being able to pull 70+ pounds pretty easy ..........give me a great advantage for speed and KE ! So losing 5 fps is not even an issue for me !

So to sum it up :

I have a tuned bow that I can shoot very accurately, it's quiet , has no fletching issues, keeps my arrow ready at all times, I have tremendous confidence in it, and I'm still shooting 280 with a 450 grain arrow or 299 fps at 5 grains per pound ..........with a hunting rig !! So why should I complain ???? :D