HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Arrow moving left to right (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/68502-arrow-moving-left-right.html)

1turkeykiller 08-08-2004 05:50 PM

Arrow moving left to right

I noticed several times that when I was shooting from the ground at my block target from 20 yards away I could see the arrow flexing left and right until it hit the target. It is shooting straight but it was moving back and forth until contact. Is this normal since the arrow needs a chance to straighten out after being shot?

nub 08-08-2004 06:55 PM

RE: Arrow moving left to right

Shooting fingers? Lots of things could cause that. Most of them are bad.

extreme1 08-08-2004 07:03 PM

Normally the arrow need time to straighten out but not 20 yards to do so.Is your arrow 's spine heavy enough for your setup?

Bigpapascout 08-08-2004 07:33 PM

that indicates a weak spine.
tell us how much poundage you are pulling what kind of arrows you are shooting how long they are cut and what is the point weight?

dwaasp 08-08-2004 11:05 PM

Many finger shooters with some rest, the arrow needs 16± yds to recover depending on the fletching, from 24 yds on out all should be OK if no other problems are existing.

When shooting with fingers most do not expect a perfect tear (bullet hole) @ 9 yds.

dwaasp 08-09-2004 11:39 AM

When shooting with fingers most do not expect a perfect tear (bullet hole) @ 9 yds.
There are exceptions to most rules & there may be one to this.

Some time back I put up a post about the Mongolian Archer: an archery club of these people went postal & took most on the land mass on earth.

Their release was with the thumb, but one needs a very good thumb.

You will see, when some people put on a D-loop they will put a string nock or 2 nocks in it for arrow nock contact. Now if these nocks are long enough; one can make a large D-loop with a soft cord & release it with the thumb. If they have 80% let-off or a thumb guard like the Mongol, the thumb may last some time.

The release will be like when you were shooting high-speed marbles when you were a kid, with the thumb flipping out from behind the middle finger @ high speed releasing the loop.

I have used this release in the past, but after retirement in 99 & being over 65; my thumb did not seam to want to take it any more.

OH_RedNeck 08-09-2004 12:33 PM

dwaasp,

Thanks for explaining that, I was a little confused as to how that would work, but now it makes perfect sense. I will have to try that with my recurve.

dwaasp 08-10-2004 12:48 PM

Thanks for explaining that, I was a little confused as to how that would work, but now it makes perfect sense. I will have to try that with my recurve.
I was thinking more on the line of the 80% let-off for the thumb's sake.

Watch the Thumb with that Recurve, it a lot like the Bow the Ancient Mongols used, & one would envisage they started training at about the ripe old age of 2 yrs. & sometimes jacked the power up to 140#.