Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Drop away rest vs. Wisker bisket??? >

Drop away rest vs. Wisker bisket???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Drop away rest vs. Wisker bisket???

Old 08-06-2004, 01:59 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Drop away rest vs. Wisker bisket???

Fine, then, go simple, instead of something sticking on the side of the bow that hurts speed that doesn't have to be, get ya a centerfire flipper. Be simplistic. Hey, you guys sound like you like them. I was just trying to get someone to enlighten me on why they would want to put those on a bow. I mean I understand shooting fingers. Thats useful. Make shots quickly. No noise from releases. Don't worry about forgetting a release. But I see fellas with every gismo known to man on their string, crazy looking silencers on strings and limbs, a big ol bunch of pins on thier sites, and a WB to top it off on a 600 dollar bowtech. I sit there and shake my head. Maybe they figured out something I didn't.

My brother has one and loves it. I guess if your happy, and successful, nothing else matters. But he shoots a Carrera cranked up to 70lbs. He got a bow, thats made for speed, and slowed it down. For you hunters out there, who went and got the basic bow shooting at 250fps, I can understand, but for him shooting a bow meant for speed. By the way, I don't shoot that fast either. I shoot a PSE Mohave at 260 to 270fps.

Thanks for trying to explain even if it doesn't sink in.

Old 08-06-2004, 02:14 PM

Fine, then, go simple, instead of something sticking on the side of the bow that hurts speed that doesn't have to be, get ya a centerfire flipper.
ugh...*shakes head*

I was just trying to get someone to enlighten me on why they would want to put those on a bow.
and i was trying to answer you.

Maybe they figured out something I didn't.
maybe.

I guess if your happy
yup...

and successful
yup, again...

nothing else matters.
agreed.

Thanks for trying to explain even if it doesn't sink in.
lol, no problem, wish i could have helped out more...
Old 08-06-2004, 03:04 PM

This is my take on the WB and the question of speed loss. I don't know why anyone evens mentions speed loss. It's insignificant and would not affect sight setting, even a little at hunting distances. I've even tried hard helicals and only lost 5 fps. Once again, not worth talking about. Only speed freaks who eek out every fps, regardless of what it means, would care about a couple fps. I once cut notches (for the vanes to pass through) on a trimmed biscuit and gained 2 fps over a conventional TM hunter style rest.

The true beauty of the rest, the area in which it excels, is in it's ability to have your arrow in shooting position at all times, no matter how you're holding your bow or what type of hunting you may be doing. If you bump a branch, no noise comes from the biscuit. The bristles act as a silencer for such bumps. It's sturdy, simple, has no moving parts and would be difficult to damange beyond use, in the field. As a target shooter or a 3-d rest, it brings nothing special to the table, but as a hunting rest, it simply excels at the things that are important to most hunters.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:17 PM
bigcountry

Speed must mean something. I see everyone every year looking for the fastest bow. I don't see this 5fps you say. I see 30fps compared to a drop away. Maybe some guys from the proshop can pipe in. But Len from Baltimore (proshop) told me he saw it regularly too. Just trying to help you understand how it could come up. 5fps is no big deal but 30 is alot. That was when they first came out. I guess i am a simple man with simple needs that has success without a WB.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speed must mean something. I see everyone every year looking for the fastest bow. I don't see this 5fps you say. I see 30fps compared to a drop away. Maybe some guys from the proshop can pipe in. But Len from Baltimore (proshop) told me he saw it regularly too. Just trying to help you understand how it could come up. 5fps is no big deal but 30 is alot. That was when they first came out. I guess i am a simple man with simple needs that has success without a WB.
Oh boy! And I told myself I wouldn't get caught up in this crap again.[&:] Guess I lied to myself.

30fps??? Who do you think your kidding here?
At the risk of his credibility I'm not sure Len would appreciate being drug into this arguement. NOBODY is going to see a 30fps speed difference between a drop away and the whisker biscuit with a properly tuned bow!!
Old 08-06-2004, 06:16 PM

I like the simplicity of the WB, what I dont like is the noise the vanes make as they pass through the bristles. I shoot in a Techno-hunt league which is in an enclosed room, and well, all I can say is the WB's are loud! You can't hear the dropaways, but the WB's make a fsss sound everytime. Its very noticeable in an enclosed area!
Old 08-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Late this spring, I took my bow over to a shop to chronograph some arrows. I was shooting a TM Hunter when I started shooting. With 440 gr. arrows, I was getting 263 fps consistently through the chrono. I tried out one of the new GKF Whisper Disk rests, and the speed dropped to 261 with the fletching aligned with the slots as best I could. When I purposely mis-aligned the fletch with the slots, the speed fell to 258 fps. Out of curiosity, I put on an untrimmed B2 Whisker Biscuit rest. The rest had been on the bow previously, so I knew if I lined up the rest bracket with the marks I had drawn on the riser, it still should be pretty well tuned. To my surprise, when shooting the same arrows, the speed was now 263 fps. Exactly the speed I was getting with the TM Hunter, which, BTW, was carefully checked for fletch contact. If you are seeing 30 fps difference in speed, then the bow wasn't tuned properly before the drop away was installed.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to add no matter how fast your bow shoots it will never be faster then the speed of sound. Your bow could shoot 400 fps and a deer will still jump the string. I laugh at it to often guys wanting to make their bows faster to give them a better chance against a deer jumping the string. I used to be like that too untill logic hit me like a ton of bricks I said to myself what the heck am I thinkin this makes no sense unless by some stroke of luck they would ever make a bow that shoots a arrow faster than 700 fps, Fast bows string slap is louder for obvious reasons.
So I decided to look at from a different perspective in which I have become a more successful bowhunter because of it. I decided Ok a bow that shoots atleast 240 fps is plenty velocity to send a arrow clean through a deer even with lighter arrows say 350 grain shaft and broadhead togther. I forgot about speed and started focusing on how to make a bow quieter when shot. Heres what I shoot A browning Eclipse SL single cam with a 31 inch draw and 2315 xx78 super slam shaft cut at 31 inches with a 100 grain hammerhead mechanical broadhead, spike 3 pin fiber optic sight, nap quick tune 800 rest, 8 inch X-ring Hydraulic, stableizer, SVL limb savers, asfar as string accessories I use Whisker style string silencers a kisser button and a rope style D-Loop. My release aid is a cobra caliper style release I know most of you laugh at cobra products but I got it on clearence at wal mart for 3 dollars and it works just as good as my free fletch which i payed 70 bucks for. My setup projects a almost 500 grain arrow at 237 fps and it shoots as quiet as my My grand daddies 40 lbs Bear recurve which I have had in posession for 10 years since his death. I can't complain I've killed more deer with this setup in two years then I did in the 6 years before, I believe I cured the problem to deer jumping the string.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:33 PM

I owned bot hnodels of t he WB and liked how it shot....however, I recommend the drop away.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:00 PM

I don't think people are worried about speed because of string jump. That's going to be an issue no matter how fast your bow is. Most are aware of that and know the importance of shooting a relaxed deer vrs an alert deer. Speed helps with judging yardarge. The faster the bow, the flatter the trajectory. You could be off by a few yards, or 10 if your bow is fast enough and still hit the kill zone of a deer. That's why 3-d shooters love speed so much, it ups thier scores because there is less variation between different yardages.

I know a few people with the WB, and have not seen that large of a speed drop. I don't doubt that it could happen, but I don't think it's the norm. They couldn't give these things away if that was the case. I haven't used a rest yet that changed my speed on a bow. And I have tried alot of rests. I mean they may change things a couple fps, but nothing that required me to change my pin gaps at any yardage.

Paul

Quick Reply: Drop away rest vs. Wisker bisket???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.