Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Leeches

Old 08-09-2004, 05:22 PM

Default RE: Leeches

I never actually had one fly off, but they always liked to come about halfway out from between the string.

You'll also notice the corner of the leech is missing. That happened about a week after putting them on my string. They didn't really help the noise all that much either...

So, let's make a list shall we?

They liked to come out of the string.
The didn't really help much with the noise.
They fell apart after about a week.
They're about $11.00 more than whiskers.

I don't think I'll be purchasing another package of these puppies.[:'(]
Old 08-09-2004, 07:21 PM

I have never had any problems with leeches. I think they work better than whiskers and they dont pepper your face with ice if you hunt in sleet.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think they do a good job, but I agree they leave a lot to be desired as fas as durability is concerned. The last set I put in my Patriot, the bottom one flew ou after only 3 shots and the top one lasted maybe 50 shots. I am serving another set in and we'll see how they hold up.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Dominant Buck

They made a huge difference on mine for reducing noise ,
I tied them on with dental floss so they wouldn't come off . Only broke one so far .
Old 08-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think they make a big diferance , quiet down string noise well . Washington Hunter , I think the problem you are haveing is because your string is not twisted , as slvtech said
One put a few more twist in the string.Or two serve the string Leech in.
serveing it in should help , without changeing your cam index , or timeing . In the future you may consider changing to a twisted string as Im sure you'll gain speed that way , it will be quieter and you can posably use a peep without the rubber tubeing attached . Now is propably not the time to do it as season is around the corner and its best to leave you bow the way you are accustomed to shooting it this time of year .
Old 08-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

I stopped using them given the cost and their lack of durability, at least on my bow. I found that cat whiskers tied into the string and then cut to half dollar size bleed only 3-5 fps and they last forever. For the 12 bucks I save on cats vs leeches, I can't see going back for the sake of 1 or 2 fps.

Sims new limbsavers on the other hand......now they're worth the money IMO.

I'm told that the Patriot is quieter than the arrow now, so between the limbsavers and the cats they collectively do the job.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:19 PM

That very well could be the problem, but I won't worry about it until next summer. I've got everything set up and ready to go now and I'm happy with it. I'll experiment another time.

Thanks for the info folks.