Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 NEED HELP with OUTBACK and LEFT tears >

NEED HELP with OUTBACK and LEFT tears

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

NEED HELP with OUTBACK and LEFT tears

Old 08-03-2004, 10:40 AM

Default NEED HELP with OUTBACK and LEFT tears

Hello Everyone,

I am extremely frustrated and have spent hours on end at two different bow shops trying to correct my problem. Here's my set-up: I am shooting a Mathews Outback, 70 lbs (currently set at 63 lbs), 30" draw. Accessories are; Gold Tip, 3D-Pro 55/75, cut to 29" with 100 grain tips (approximately 401 grains with tips and eze-eye cresting and fletching). I am using a Trap Door rest and a string loop.

I am trying to get bow tuned to shoot broadheads and cannot get them to fly worth a darn. I use Montec G5's.

Before we start - I'd like to say that I am probably a well "above" archer, my anchor and draw is identical each time and a shoot with an open grip. When my set-up is correct, I typically shoot 10 out of 12 arrows in the bulls at 30 yards. I guess what I am saying is this should not be a form problem. I've read some of the earlier post that the Outback had some problems with the cams early on and was wondering if maybe this could be my problem, as I bought the very first Outback to hit the Tulsa, OK area.

Tuning - Everything is dead-on and I get 1 1/2 - 2" tears to the left and a little low. I know that typically this means an underspined arrow, but I shot several other arrows of greater spine and ALL of them shot with left tears. Some were a little better, some were worse. What I have noticed is that the riser torques a little to the right at full-draw. The only fix to this would be for me to grip the bow and squeeze it back into position and we all know that that isn't a cure.

Mathews Tech and pro's - please help!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:44 AM

Default RE: NEED HELP with OUTBACK and LEFT tears

The only fix to this would be for me to grip the bow and squeeze it back into position and we all know that that isn't a cure.
the only way to fix it is to rip of that crappy grip and put on an after market. The tears are IMO from riser torque induced by the worst grip in creation.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

EDIT..

me stupid..me not read whole post carefully...

nevermind...
Old 08-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack

The only fix to this would be for me to grip the bow and squeeze it back into position and we all know that that isn't a cure.
the only way to fix it is to rip of that crappy grip and put on an after market. The tears are IMO from riser torque induced by the worst grip in creation.
LOL...it's funny...I hated the old Mathews grip Chuck, but I like the competition grip...you definitely don't want to get too much thumb into it...and most guys do..
Old 08-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dale...I would suggest trying a different gruip style..first off if you don't use a sling, do.

second, Imagine just holding out your arm (shoulder down), and pointing at something with your first finger..your hand is almost sideways....now put your hand into the grip like that..you can relax your other 3 fingers..have your first finger curve around the grip and touch the tip of your thumb but make sure there is little to no contact with the front of the grip, and you don't want much palm on the heel of the grip, either...

As you aim mentally "push" your thumb towards the target...see if that helps...
Old 08-03-2004, 11:12 AM

LOL...it's funny...I hated the old Mathews grip Chuck, but I like the competition grip...you definitely don't want to get too much thumb into it...and most guys do..
the comp grip is better......not hard to do.....LOL..........

But I still cannot use a low grip with it and not get some torque. Any pressure down low and [:'(][:'(]

If I lay it outside my lifeline into the thumb I can practically feel it sliding off to the side. I still think its a bad grip with two much curve down low.

I am fully convinced mathews continues to make that grip style for the masses of grip it and rip it shooters. it feels good when you wrap your hands around it - what most guys do - but its very hard to shoot it correctly - what most guys don't
Old 08-03-2004, 11:17 AM

Rack - I might have to agree with you. I put a Loesch grip on my LX and shot the best groups I've ever shot.

Jeff - I shoot exactly the way you mentioned, but without touching my index finger to the thumb.

I recon I'll go back at lunch and give er one more try before I put it on Ebay. Lol
Old 08-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

well..two things I noticed...

first of all..why not try another loesch grip before you sell it?

and second...

Your arrow rest...The Trapdoor has a tendancy to "crap out" all of a sudden with no warning and you may be getting contact or not enough guidance.....do you have another rest to try?
Old 08-03-2004, 02:45 PM

Well.......I hate to admit this, but most of it was me!! I tinkered with it some more when one of the shop shooters showed up and offered some help. First, he shot the bow with a back tension release and shot a perfect bullet hole.

We started with the grip and worked backwards. The grip is torquing in my hand, even though I handle it very well (my hands are pretty small vs the shop shooter). Thinking about taking the sander to it!

Second, we looked at the draw length. My anchor point is low compared to most archers, as I anchor my right thumb behind my neck and bring the string to the tip of my nose. We found that I was getting into the string just a tad.

We shortened my loop and put a few twist into the string and buss cables to shorten my draw to approximately 29 1/2". My tears are tremendously better. Haven't shot broadheads with it yet, but am hopeful that they will fly now.

Just goes to show you that you should get help when you encounter problems like this.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:12 PM

I just posted about the same problem before I checked the other posts. Coincidence? My Outback is doing the exact same thing. Is it possible that I am doing the exact same things wrong as you are? I have the whisker biscuit rest set up all the way to the right and am still getting a slight tear to the left. I have a level on my sight that I am watching like a hawk because like you stated the bow does torque right. Off to the archery shop for shooting 101 I guess.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP with OUTBACK and LEFT tears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.