Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Quik Spin test.....completed! >

Quik Spin test.....completed!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Quik Spin test.....completed!

Old 07-25-2004, 08:57 PM
CG

Default Quik Spin test.....completed!

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought some of these....well being a science teacher, I had to have proof they were better than what I was using (AAE).

Well here is how the experiment was conducted. I fletched 5 arrows w/ Quik Spins and 5 arrows w/ AAE Plastifletch vanes. Both sets were fletched 1/8" (approx. ) right offset. Basically both arrows were identical (except for weight, the AAE were a few grains lighter). The bow set-up is a Mathews MQ1, 29" draw, 71 lbs w/ NAP 2000 dropaway and Scott Mongoose release. The arrows were GoldTip XT 5575 27 1/2" tipped with Magnus Snuffers 125 gr.. Arrow speed is approx. 270 fps.

Over the course of 2 days, I shot each set 20 times for a total of 100 shots w/ each vane type. All shooting was done inside at 25 yards and I alternated which set was shot first as well as alternating each arrow during some of the sessions. I then measured the distance from center (target center) for each arrow. One variable I was concerned about (besides the shooter but I don't have a Hooter Shooter in the basement ) was the Snuffers. I glued them together myself and all spun true. I selected these because IME they are the hardest to tune due to the large cutting diameter (1 5/16"). To make sure that one group didn't get a "non-straight" Snuffer for the whole test, all BH were randomly changed after each shooting session (10 shots). I also left in all "flyers" figuring that over 100 arrows for each vane that it would work itself out.

So basically, as best I could manage, there was only one control variable....the vanes. All others were (relatively) constant. Here are my results (rounded to the nearest tenth per my digital caliper):

AAE: Closest to Center=.9"
Farthest from Center=4.6"
Average=3.3"

QuikSpin: Closest to Center= .25"
Farthest from Center=5.3"
Average=2.2"

*Note that these measurements are to the outside of the arrow and I DID NOT subtract arrow diameter as you would in target (firearm) shooting.

Also these ARE NOT group sizes...they are each arrows distance from center...left, right, up, down did not matter......

You can read this data for what you want but it was very obvious to me shooting, that the Quik Spins stabalized the arrows better. There were a lot of sub 1" measurements for the QuikSpins.

PS-Don't give me too much crap for my shooting....I don't know where the 5.3" flyer came from.....
Old 07-26-2004, 06:54 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: Quik Spin test.....completed!

How do they sound? I was at a 3D shoot this weekend and noticed there is a big difference in the noise levels of different arrows.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the information. Has anyone done a similar test with the Quick spins fletched straight, and "regular" vanes fletched helical? My interest in the Quick spins is due to the possibility that I can fletch them straight, then not worry about using a drop away rest.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow... Lot's of work for an interesting test.

Thanks for sharing the results
Old 07-26-2004, 09:11 AM
CG

c j-there was maybe (?) a slight noise difference w/ the quick spins being louder but it really wasn't that significant......they are MUCH quieter than helical feathers.

Rangeball-Not really that much work.....Like I said I'm a teacher so during the summer I have to find something to do between tee times

I had to make sure that they were worth the $$$$. They are so it was time well spent.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info! I haven't had time to play with any.

Sounds like those elk are going to be in real trouble come September!
Old 07-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wonder what the difference would be at greater distance from target?
Old 07-26-2004, 01:39 PM

Once you factored in shooter's error, and throw out the shaft scores that were outside the average of the closer hits, the 1" variance would be considerably reduced. Therefore, is the cost justified, and what great accuracy over most other quality fletching has been obtained.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:42 PM
CG

c903-Shooter error should be about the same w/ both sets...granted, 1,000 trials each set would be better to equal out shooter error but 100 is better than 10.

As I said, I kept arrows that were "flyers" in the test just negate any subjectivity on my part. IF I had set the figure at say 4" outside of center did not count, I would have to take out 12 AAE measurements and 5 QuikSpin and by doing so the data changes less than .2". Not what I, subjectively, call "considerable".

I didn't say they were better than any other quality fletching. My data and observations did show that they are more accurate than AAE when fletched in a similar style, when shot in my basement from 25 yards, in July, in Wyoming at 4200 feet elevation, with a 4 year old screaming upstairs, wife nagging I shoot to much, etc. This test was not designed to be a conclusive scientific study. It was simply a test (as scientific as I could make it with what was at my disposal) to see if they were superior to what I have been shooting. And the answer is yes and they are, to me, well worth the money.

Everyone can take my data however they want. Print it and blow your nose with it if you want. I just thought some could benefit from what I was going to do anyway. Trust that it was done as fairly as possible, not because I would get bashed on here if it wasn't, but simply for my peice of mind. Plus it was a great way to get back into shooting shape!!!

FWIW-I would say that the QuikSpins stabalize an arrow equally as well as feathers but are slightly less noisy. This is purely an observation of mine having shot both. For those of you that like the stability of feathers but don't like fussing with them or the noise, this might be an alternative.......However, it should be noted that these vanes, once deformed, will pretty much stay that way. A blow dryer helps some but doesn't completely straighten them.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder what your tests would have shown if you compared the QSs fletched straight versus your others applied offset?

I know of some considering these because they want to fletch straight to maximize clearance yet retain good arrow control...

Quick Reply: Quik Spin test.....completed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.