HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Legacy Bow Noise (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/66832-legacy-bow-noise.html)

Iowa Monsterbuck 07-22-2004 08:06 AM

Legacy Bow Noise

I have a Mathews Legacy and about 3 weeks ago one of the limbs split. I took it to the bowshop and theyhad two new limbs from Mathews shipped for it and when they installed them I also had them put on a Winner's Choice string to replace the original Zebra string. I also bought a set of the new Sims Ultra Limbsavers and installed them on the limbs (the old limbs had a set of original limbsavers on them). Everything else stayed the same in my set-up except maybe the draw weight is slightly heavier than it was before.

Last night was the first time I had shot it since getting it repaired and it seems to me that the bow makes significantly more noise than it did before. Can +/- 5 lbs in draw weight make a significant difference in bow noise? Are the new limbs stiffer and need broken in? Does the new string have something to do with it?

I'm hoping to get over to the pro shop in the next couple of weekends to see what they think but was hoping somebody here could give me some ideas as to what the difference might be.

Tepidus 07-22-2004 08:38 AM

RE: Legacy Bow Noise

I know that Winner's Choice string will be a little be noisier than the Zebra string that you had on.

Iowa Monsterbuck 07-22-2004 09:17 AM

Why is that?

Roland from Calif. 07-22-2004 11:04 AM

number of strands used in the string/cable and type of string material. Factory strings as a rule will have more strands than custom strings because the OEM wants to keep the noise down. One thing you will notice also is that your bow is now faster than it was before (in most cases). Usually 5 to 10 FPS. It will also take a while to shoot the strings in and this could effect the noise level for a few hundred shots.

Gundigest 07-22-2004 04:45 PM

have some of string silencers put on that will help, and a small light doinker stabilizer will help also

ijimmy 07-23-2004 08:23 AM

Winners Choice strings are louder than stock mathews strings , but something else may have changed when they instaled new strings . Hold the bow in one hand and give it a rap with the other hand on the risor , and see if something buzzs or rattels . Allso make sure the string is hitting the string stops by the cams properly , if you have lots of shots thru it you may want to get new rubber stops . Id check that cabel roller well to as some have had problems with it .

Iowa Monsterbuck 07-23-2004 08:32 AM

The guy at the bow shop did tighten a few things which may have helped a little bit but I still had a lot of string twang. He tied on a string silencer and that seemed to help some too. I had never used them on my Legacy because I thought the string supressors were supposed to take care of string noise. I'm thinking about getting a set of string leeches. Does anybody have a recommendation for the best string silencers?

Tepidus 07-23-2004 08:38 AM

I prefer Cat whiskers. String leeches work well but don't last long..