Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bringing broadheads & field points tgether. >

Bringing broadheads & field points tgether.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bringing broadheads & field points tgether.

Old 07-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bringing broadheads & field points tgether.

Why not just use them all the time, or do they only work on windy days?
Its nice to have a bow that will stack them with most of the diferant heads you will stick on the front of your arrow . Some bow and arrow combo's cannot achieve this degree of tune , but some can , and its great to be able to make the choice , say if Im shooting muzzys and the wind comes up , I know I can shoot vortex's and they will hit the same . The thing with the wind is , any fixed blade head is going to have problems at closer distance than a mecanical will on a windy day .
Old 07-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its nice to have a bow that will stack them with most of the diferant heads
Must be, cause mine sure won't. Different heads of equal weight won't usually fly exactly the same. But, I can still shoot 4" groups at 50 yards with the head that my bow is tuned to, even in 25 mph wind.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:24 PM
bigcountry

Wow, 4" groups @50yard with 25MPH wind. If I was close to you, I would like to put some money on that.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, 4" groups @50yard with 25MPH wind. If I was close to you, I would like to put some money on that.
Got a paypal and mastercard, no need to be here, I could take some pictures...HeHeHe
Old 07-21-2004, 01:48 PM
bigcountry

I believe ya about the 4", but 25MPH is hard to do or predict.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't honestly know. I never really had a problem with planning. I use a heavier arrow (@630 grains) with 5 inch helical feathers. I will admit, that I don't do much shooting in open fields and such. But I have done many practice sessions in sustained wind.

I probably would not be out hunting though in winds much more then that. - At least not in a tree.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's almost as ridiculous as assuming that someone who uses mechanicals does so as "an excuse for not tuning." Give me a break. There are PLENTY of people out there who have had the experience of busting nocks off with field points, then putting fixed blade broadheads on and seeing their point of impact shift 6" or more. In this case, using mech's is a viable and ethical option to spending hours or even days on the range trying to get fixed points to fly worth a darn...
Hours or days? Take me all of five or ten minutes! It isn't rocket science. Hell, it isn't as difficult as long distance group tuning. Takes less time than paper tuning.

I based my comment on what you wrote:

2) Buy mechanical broadheads and spend your time scouting instead of farting around with your bow...
I didn't assume anything at all. You stated very clearly that "farting around with your bow" was taking time out of scouting and the solution was to shoot mechs.

I can break nocks with a bow that's way out of tune....that doesn't mean my broadheads will fly great....or even hit the target. In which case mechanical heads are not a good option as you rob signifigant KE with the head and then through on the ill-aligned hit to rob some more....then we get posts like 'I hit him perfect but...' and 'I got very little penetration' and 'X mech is junk because', etc.

Maybe I've been lucky to get all my bows and BH configurations to group FP's and BH's perfectly. Maybe I'm just that good! All of my friends have always been able to do the same....I just don't see how it doesn't work for some. I'm not condeming anyone, I just can't figure out how everyone I know and personally see shoot can do it and a bunch on the boards here say it won't work for them.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:48 AM

FWIW,
I have bows that will shoot broadheads and fieldpoints together and a couple that won't. One of the things that doesn't usually get addressed in broadhead tuning is side to side nock travel. Some bows address this very well and others don't. YOU CAN"T TUNE THIS OUT OF BOW. I've seen this happen with bows that have longer than normal cable slide travel. The cable guard will get an inordinate amount of side load which will cause the broadheads to fly left of the fieldpoints in almost all cases whem the bow is in perfect tune. Trying to tune this out will create and out of tune bow. I think a good rule of thumb to follow is shoot your broadheads through paper and try and keep the tear as small as you can. Do not and I repeat DO NOT compromise your accuracy to get broadheads and filedpoints to hit exactly the same. Group tuning is also another method of making sure you are getting good arrow flight. If you aren't getting good arrow flight you'll know PDQ if you shoot a group at 20 yards and then one at 40 yards and they aren't hitting the same vertical line. The one caveat in this process is that your broadheads and fieldpoints should be on the same horizonal line. Stiffer shafts may or may not address some of the side to side nock travel due the reduced flexing in the arrow.

There other issues like vane/feather length and straight, offset and helical also need to be addressed. As a rule underspine and overspine within reason and tip weight are way overated when using a dropaway and release on most bows.

Good luck and don't over analize the situation. If your really in doubt and think your losing your mind trying to get this figured out, have someone else you trust as a real good archer try your bow and see if they get the same results. You might be surprised that they will have the same problem.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Finally, a reason. Like I said, I just didn't understand it....thank you for the explanation!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Roland, that's why I tune for the broadheads. Then if the field points fly the same great, if not --- oh well.

Quick Reply: Bringing broadheads & field points tgether.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.