Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bringing broadheads & field points tgether. >

Bringing broadheads & field points tgether.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bringing broadheads & field points tgether.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bringing broadheads & field points tgether.

Leverdude

I think the reason you did not get a lot of replies to your question is because there are alot of people who don't necessarily care if their fixed broadheads don't fly exactly the same as their field point. Myself included. Most bows will take a different tune for fixed broadheads and field points. A lot of times if you do get them to fly exactly alike, it is because of a compromise.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:26 PM
bigcountry

I agree with the others. Go to the Easton tuning guide. If you already did a spin test, and see the broadheads are not wobbling, then you can increase you bows poundage. works for me like a champ. Or you can increase you broad head wieght. I did this slowly. I am with the previous guy. If you paper tune and looks great, then you don't want a fish tail so go back to the original settings with the paper tune looking good.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

are you a right hand archer ? if so you maybe overspined , try a 125 grain head and see how it shoots for you .
Old 07-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Thanx for all the replies guys.

Sure is alot to digest but I checked out the easton tuning guide & it seems to indicate I might be overspined while the charts say I'm borderline underspined. I already ordered some 2219's so when they get here I'm gonna try em out. I am getting good groups with the broad heads so if all else fails just before the season I'll change my sight setting to bring them where I want & hunt with it like that. I think thats what some of you are saying. Just bugs me as last year shooting fingers they were right together.
I'm right handed.

Thanx again, I got my work cut out for me so I'm headed out back to try some things & see if I can get this right.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:39 AM

Two options.

1) Buy new arrows, spend hours tuning and retuning, take field tips and broadheads on and off over and over again to see if what you did worked, buy new broadheads in case they are the problem, buy a spare site bar so you can switch back and forth depending on if you are hunting or target shooting.

2) Buy mechanical broadheads and spend your time scouting instead of farting around with your bow...
Old 07-21-2004, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the reason you did not get a lot of replies to your question is because there are alot of people who don't necessarily care if their fixed broadheads don't fly exactly the same as their field point. Myself included. Most bows will take a different tune for fixed broadheads and field points. A lot of times if you do get them to fly exactly alike, it is because of a compromise.
I use mechs on windy days. I have to have my field points/mechs hit with my fixed blade heads. I don't see it as a compromise at all. Every bow I have owned has shot broadheads with field points and the tune has always been great. I get great groups out to 50 yards with bh's and fp's, tear a perfect hole through paper(I know some you say slight "insert tear here" is best for your setup...blah), and have always been consistant with my shooting. I'm not saying that everyone else is wrong, or that my way is the only way, but I can't understand why people won't follow the advice of an industry leader in arrows and how to shoot them properly.

2) Buy mechanical broadheads and spend your time scouting instead of farting around with your bow...
[:@][:@][:'(][:'(]

OR....you can tune your bow and then scout all you want. You're shooting now for a reason....that reason, I should hope, is so that you can be proficient with your equipment. Tuning a bow is nothing more than shooting it and making adjustments. Using mechs as an excuse for not tuning a bow is rediculous, unethical and ill advised. Nothing at all wrong with mechs, but they're not a cure all or a quick fix for lack of tune.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very well put Jason , you veiw reflects mine allso , mecanicals for windy days , and get your fixed heads as close as you can to your feild points , adiquate fletching is allso a factor , 5" feathers for me , improves fixed head flight over smaller fletching .
Old 07-21-2004, 08:40 AM

Using mechs as an excuse for not tuning a bow is rediculous, unethical and ill advised. Nothing at all wrong with mechs, but they're not a cure all or a quick fix for lack of tune.
It's almost as ridiculous as assuming that someone who uses mechanicals does so as "an excuse for not tuning." Give me a break. There are PLENTY of people out there who have had the experience of busting nocks off with field points, then putting fixed blade broadheads on and seeing their point of impact shift 6" or more. In this case, using mech's is a viable and ethical option to spending hours or even days on the range trying to get fixed points to fly worth a darn...
Old 07-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use mechs on windy days.
Why not just use them all the time, or do they only work on windy days?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:58 AM
bigcountry

I used to use mechanicals for two years, and took some deer with them. But didn't get the penetration I wanted and they failed once. So went back to fixed. When an opportunity of a lifetime comes up, I don't want to have the excuse "I wonder if it was the mech.". And spend a little time getting my broadheads to shoot. If you can't get broadheads to shoot, then you are masking something else that is wrong using mech.

Quick Reply: Bringing broadheads & field points tgether.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.