Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Who makes the best feeling release trigger >

Who makes the best feeling release trigger

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who makes the best feeling release trigger

Old 07-13-2004, 12:33 PM

Default RE: Who makes the best feeling release trigger

Sorry Rangeball, I've been gone for awhile and didn't see your question until now.

At any rate, the Scott's IMO are ok, but they still have some travel unless you really lighten up on the trigger, and that just encourages TP. With the 2 shot you can set it so that you can put a little pressure on it before it breaks, and you get NO travel. None.

Also, just saw your last post. Did you try slipping a spring from a ball point pen over the trigger on your Scott and see how you like it? Might be worth a try.

Rod
Old 07-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot a Carter "One Shot" last season and abandonded it completely.........It is a release, as is the 2 shot that is meant to perform at it's best with a beck tension surprise shot. Actually ANY release will work best when fired this way.......If I was a strict 3D or target archer and had to shoot an index fired release then the Carters would be my choice hands down.

HOWEVER.......in hunting you aren't always able to use target range form, you have weird angles, fast shots and MANY MANY times we are punching the trigger. I don't care who you are or what you say, the majority of the time shooting at game we punch the trigger. It may be controlled and accurate but we seldom have the time to say "Breath, keep back tension, pull through the shot.....POW!" and the release surprises you. That's not real world.
That's where the Carter was a problem for me. The trigger is heavy and has no travel. This does not equate to good "On Demand" shooting, I found (And I practiced this) tha when I deliberately fired the release by pressing the trigger I was all sorts of wild. When something doesn't give under reasonable force in a stressful situation the instinct is to PUSH HARDER and faster.
I knew I wasn't going to be able to shoot controlled back tension in most hunting situations so I tried shooting it by simply "Pulling the Trigger" and it SUCKED for me.

I scrapped it and went back to my tried and true Scott "Rhino" with its simple peg trigger, a little travel and a softer more hair feeling trigger. I KNOW when this release will fire, and it's more forgiving trigger response helps to keep me much more on target even under the worst of trigger mashings.
I can stand at 20 yards and shoot one shot back tension, the next a slow pull, and the next just SLAM the trigger and will stack all 3 arrows. I simply couldn't do that with the Carter.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:17 PM

I like Scotts but have shot them for almost 20 years so I am a little "too used to them"!
Old 07-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I shot a Carter "One Shot" last season and abandonded it completely.........It is a release, as is the 2 shot that is meant to perform at it's best with a beck tension surprise shot. Actually ANY release will work best when fired this way.......If I was a strict 3D or target archer and had to shoot an index fired release then the Carters would be my choice hands down.

HOWEVER.......in hunting you aren't always able to use target range form, you have weird angles, fast shots and MANY MANY times we are punching the trigger. I don't care who you are or what you say, the majority of the time shooting at game we punch the trigger. It may be controlled and accurate but we seldom have the time to say "Breath, keep back tension, pull through the shot.....POW!" and the release surprises you. That's not real world.
That's where the Carter was a problem for me. The trigger is heavy and has no travel. This does not equate to good "On Demand" shooting, I found (And I practiced this) tha when I deliberately fired the release by pressing the trigger I was all sorts of wild. When something doesn't give under reasonable force in a stressful situation the instinct is to PUSH HARDER and faster.
I knew I wasn't going to be able to shoot controlled back tension in most hunting situations so I tried shooting it by simply "Pulling the Trigger" and it SUCKED for me.

I scrapped it and went back to my tried and true Scott "Rhino" with its simple peg trigger, a little travel and a softer more hair feeling trigger. I KNOW when this release will fire, and it's more forgiving trigger response helps to keep me much more on target even under the worst of trigger mashings.
I can stand at 20 yards and shoot one shot back tension, the next a slow pull, and the next just SLAM the trigger and will stack all 3 arrows. I simply couldn't do that with the Carter.
Matt brings up some great points and I do agree with him on just about all of it. The 2 shot (and 1 shot) do require a steady methodical squeeze for best accuracy. You can "rush" the shot if need be, but they will pull a little left and right when you do that. The best way to shoot them "fast" is to use push-pull tension and not just "pull" on the trigger. IF you don't counteract the "pull" on the trigger witha forward push of the bow arm/shoulder you will get that left/right deviation. But it takes some practice to get used to it.

However the question was which release had the best feeling trigger, and AFAIC there no doubt the 2 shot does as far as index finger releases go. SUPA-crisp...like KFC...or all those burnouts you knew in High-School
Old 07-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeepnut

Range,
Ever try the spring trigger post that Scott offers? No experience with them personally, though I've seen them in use. I just wonder if it would allow your finger to travel further before release making it feel more like it had a longer trigger travel?
I bought one for my Scott LBG and I love it. You want travel, the Scott with the spring trigger post WILL deliver. When I first started shooting it I was wondering if it would ever go off. I have also noticed that it is more forgiving in those times that I do punch the trigger. Try it Range, I think you'll like it. You can buy them at Lancaster Archery Supply.

Also, I've been shooting a Winn Free Flight for years and thought it was a great release until I got my Scott. I wonder if the new head Winn designed for string loops would be any better? If I could just figure out how to put a Scott head on the Winn Glove, I think that would be the perfect hunting release.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, a few questions-

1- Did you have to buy a whole new release, or coud you just purchase the spring trigger and retrofit an existing release?

2- Forsee/have any problems using it while hunting?
Old 07-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Range,

You can buy just the trigger post HERE. All you have to do is get a small pair of pliers and unscrew your regular trigger post and screw in the new one. I'd recommend a small dab of blue loctite.

I haven't had a chance to hunt with it since I just got it a couple of months ago but I can't forsee any problems with it in a hunting situation. It is just a smidge slower to react if you punch the trigger but we're talking milliseconds here. I guess this is why it may be a little more forgiving in those times when you may punch the trigger. For as little as it costs, it's worth trying out to see if you like it. Certainly a lot cheaper than another new release.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:39 PM
Spike

Lancaster Archery sells the spring trigger for the scott release for around $3.95.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting the same scott release now for about 8 or 9 yrs. And it still just as smooth as ever!
Old 07-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

For as little as it costs, it's worth trying out to see if you like it. Certainly a lot cheaper than another new release.

Amen to that. Thanks for speaking my language...