HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   I'm thinking about getting a bow for hunting... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/6559-im-thinking-about-getting-bow-hunting.html)

Dan B 02-24-2002 08:10 AM

I'm thinking about getting a bow for hunting...

I want to spend around $700 for complete set-up. I figure I need a forgiving bow, because I'm new at this. 36" ATA with at least a 71/2" brace height. Any suggestions? I went to the pro shop yesterday and the owner suggested the Havotec($539) and the Mathews FX($489 I think). I couldn't shoot them because they had a kids shoot going on at the range. The owner said to come back MON. evening to shoot the bows he recommended. Like I said I'm new so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also...are these comparable prices to what you have seen at other shops?

Dan Blair

Edited by - Dan B on 02/24/2002 09:15:06

5 shot 02-24-2002 08:18 AM

RE: I'm thinking about getting a bow for hunting...

You are the only one that can choose a bow for yourself, no one else. Shoot both bows, as well as many others if you can. Don't get in a hurry, take your time, and choose the one that suits you best. I write down on paper all the features I want in a bow, then try to find the models that have these features. I then shoot them all and make my choice. The worst thing you can do is get in a hurry! Forgiving bows are around in Plenty now, I persoanaly like a longer bow 36 to 38" A to A, and brace heights of 7 to 7 1/2 inches. These are not the only things that make a bow easy to shot, but I personaly feel they are the most important, for me anyway.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS

Dan B 02-24-2002 08:27 AM

5 Shot~~I probably won't even buy a bow until July or August. I'm in no hurry as I don't have the money to be buying a new bow every year and I want the bow I buy to last me for a long while. The 36" ATA and 7 1/2" brace height are the lowest I think I should go. I know that only I can decide what is the best bow for me, but I was looking for other bow suggestions besides the ones I listed that are in the $5-700 price range. Thanx.

Dan Blair

Renz 02-24-2002 08:42 AM

I cannot speak for the Havotec but you should be able to get the FX for 100.00 less than that price.

PABowhntr 02-24-2002 08:55 AM

Well if those are your specs then I think you should just forget about the Havoctec and the FX. Both bows are under 34 inches from axle to axle.

What others specifications must the bow have? Mass weight? Cam style? Advertised speed? Draw cycle? etc....

5 shot 02-24-2002 09:08 AM

Dan, take a look at the Darton Rampage. I just purchased one, after 3 months of reasearch. I realy like it. The Hoyt cyber-tech looks like a nice bow as well.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS

nontypical buk 02-24-2002 06:18 PM

There are so many bows to choose from, if hunting is your main thing, I reccomend shooting a shorter bow, It takes time to get used to it but shooting out of a treestand or a blind you can't beat them. But don't take my word for it test drive some.

CMHUNTER 02-24-2002 07:15 PM

I really love my cybertec. 36" A to A and 6-7/8" brace height, but it seems to be very forgiving. Can't go wrong!!!

Byrd 02-24-2002 07:27 PM

Watch out for the sight window on the fx. When I first bought it, I was shooting a 2413 at 263 fps, then went to a beman and was shooting 296 fps and the pin had to be at the very top of the sight window. Beside the small sight window its a great bow

moonge 02-25-2002 01:47 PM

the FX is a nice little bow & you should be able to get one for 400.00. The havoctech is also a nice bow. both of these bows are short with a 34" ATA or less. I would say a better choice might be the cybertech (36" I think). If you wnt a nice bow for the money check out the bows by reflex. they are nice & priced right. The Falcon is a real nice bow & has a 36" ATA. Parker also makes some nice bows as does PSE and champion.

the main thing is to get one that feels best to you.