Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bare Shaft Tuning...Bullpoop or Not? >

Bare Shaft Tuning...Bullpoop or Not?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bare Shaft Tuning...Bullpoop or Not?

Old 07-06-2004, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bare Shaft Tuning...Bull$hit or Not?

Rack, you do it your way, I'll do it the CORRECT way.

After getting them properly balanced, I can get bareshafts to hit with fletched arrows out to 50 yards. 20 is just for roughing in.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:34 PM

Recently while attempting to get my Muzzies to fly accurately, I went thru a very lengthy tuning process. I paper tuned my bow, and it was shooting very good holes at 10 feet, as well as 10 yards. So off to the back yard I go, with my broadhead appropriatey tuned on the arrow( no wobble at all). Unfortunately, they didn't fly so well. So, after research, I bare shaft tuned the bow, and didn't have to change much, but the little I did change made the difference. They now fly very straight, and I must say, it is fun to watch!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:01 AM

In my experience bare shaft tuning has mert but only as part of the process. My logic is if I can get an arrow to fly correctly without feathers or fletching then I'm half way there. I'm looking for spine and knocking point at this stage. I rarely ever paper tune any more unless I'm not getting the consistant arrow flight I'm looking for and then start the process over again with paper. Horizontal and vertical tuning and group tuning are my final stages of the process. When changing to B/H tuning I sometimes have to make micro adjustments but not always. Depending upon the B/H's. Like everything in this sport it's been a learning curve for me and a lot of the info has come from this site. Thanks. Jerry
Old 07-11-2004, 08:35 AM

Now to really throw a thought out. How often do you change your string's and do you go through this every time? How long does it take to tune bare shaft and then tune for bullet holes?
I was given a Jennings Uniforce recently. Having never shot a bow I HAD A BLAST the first few shots(I am hooked). The arrows were not the ones I will end up with. My first 5 arrows at 15 yards were all within 3 inches of each other. Understanding that isn't great, it is still pretty good considering it was my first time shooting a bow. We were just double-checking draw lenght and everything else before we got down to business of tuning it. Unfortunately the string frayed so I will be waiting till it gets replaced.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

How long does it take to bareshaft tune and then tune to bullet holes?? No time, because you don't do that. It'd be a duplication of effort. You do either/or and then move on to fine tuning.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:32 AM

When I started out 20 years ago,shooting fingers,I allways bareshafted.Now are you guys talking about the "bareshat planing method" where you compare the groups of fletched and unfletched shafts.Or are you just looking at the Kick or relationship of the arrow to the target?

I think the planning method is best for telling you if your arrows are the proper spine for the weight,length of arrow, tip weight etc.When you do the planning method what adjustments are you making?

CB
Old 07-12-2004, 09:20 AM

CB, I'm looking at both. The position of the BS to the fletched arrows for spine and nocking point and the kick if any for rest position. I make one adjustment at a time starting with spine adjustments both the arrow and poundage. When I'm satisfied with that I move to nocking point. If the BS is hitting the target tail left or right I make some micro adjustmants to the rest. All these adjustments are at 20 yds. I'm half way there. The rest of my tuning will be with fletched arrows at longer distances for rest position and group tuning. I don't put a time factor on it. It takes as long as it takes. Some bows take long then others to find the right combo. I'd say on an average it takes me three, two hr sessions. The worst mistake to make is over shooting and making adjustments when your tired. I can be a little obcessive about the whole process. I can say for a new bow it may take me a month of shooting and micro tuning to find the most comfortable and forgiving set-up. It's worth it in the long run. Your shooting sessions will be fun and a good feeling of acomplishment in the end. Jerry
Old 07-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Jeff,

If you're not going to hunt with a bare shaft or enter a bare shaft tournament, why the hell do you want to waste your time tuning with a bare shaft ?
That's all it is, imo, just a big waste of time.
Like everyone knows, when you add fletching, it changes your spine rating anyway and you're back to square one, so why bother ?
Life is too short to waste it on BS bare shaft tuning. LOL
JMHO.

Sag.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bare shaft tuning worked great for me. I thought my bow was tuned untill I took the fletching off. The arrow kick like crazy. The fletching makes a bad arrow fly good but you loose alot of energy in the process. After I got good flight with the bare shaft my groups really improved. I like this better than paper tuning. Just try it for yourself its not a waste of time.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

You must be one of those Eastern Ky Hillbillies with nothing better to do with your time. LOL

Sag.

Quick Reply: Bare Shaft Tuning...Bullpoop or Not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.