Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How fast is fast enough? >

How fast is fast enough?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How fast is fast enough?

Old 07-03-2004, 08:32 PM

Default How fast is fast enough?

I put my bow on a chronograph yesterday after getting it restrung and it is shooting 269 fps. at 67# draw wt. and 401 gr. arrows. Is that a respectable number or do I need to try to get my shaft weight down to get my fps. up?
Old 07-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How fast is fast enough?

Well that's plenty fast enough in my book...

With good shot placement you'll be blowing through deer w/ no problems.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats plenty fast enough. im shooting 203 fps (and i can still kill a deer with it)
Old 07-03-2004, 10:18 PM

I had some friends come out today to check out a few BowTechs of mine and to shoot their's through the ole' Chrony The one guy shoots his fair share of deer every year and is a very good hunter,, scent control, stand placement,,, hunting good areas and his Hoyt did 229 fps with his heavy carbon arrows he likes[8D] Now,, that's not fast at all by today's standards but it sure does the job!!
Old 07-04-2004, 06:30 AM

the speed is plenty fast enough as long as you are accurate and you can handle the draw weight with out getting the shakes.remember the most important thing is being consisitant and comfortable first. i have seen to many people over bowed thinking they are going to be a killing machine until they get out there and find out in the deer woods its a lot different.as long as you can hold your bow arm straight out and draw your bow back with your back muscles to yuor anchor pt and be steady and not tire out to quickly your poundage should be fine to become more consistant.try it sitting in a chair and facing the target or siting on the ground with your legs spread out in front of you and draw the same way as long as it is comfortable you should be fine. your hunting setup sounds fine and will kill a whitetail with out any problems. good luck!
Old 07-04-2004, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Golden Eagle Splitfire was chronied at 247fps and it was plenty for hunting moose ,You don't have a problem with speed it's fine.

nubo
Old 07-04-2004, 10:32 AM

Dude you need to get off the 'speed' is better train. You're generating 63ft/lbs of Kinetic Energy, plenty for dang near every large game in the 48 continuous States.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Considering the bows I actually hunt with are running 185-190 fps, I'd say 269 is reasonably fast.[:-]

The Texas state record whitetail was taken with an o-l-d PSE the guy bought for $75 in a pawn shop. He was at our club's range Thursday evening shooting it. It (((might))) fling an arrow as fast as my recurve. Bottom line, it's not the bow. It's the skill of the guy behind the string that puts meat in the freezer.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:02 PM

As long as your sight is set for your bow at the preferred distances speed is not everything. I am glad my bow gets 240 fps with hunting set-up. Never found where I needed faster than that....You still have to be able to judge the yardage and make the shot regardless of speed. As long as I have enough Knetic energy to do the job, I am Happy.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

People have been taking deer with recurves that shoot 180 for years and years. If you have enough kinetic energy to kill a deer then I would worry about quietness of a bow. As fast as whitetails react I don't think 50 fps really makes a difference. I could honestly care less about how fast my bow is because its extremely quiet and I know its enough to kill a deer. BTW its shoots 229

Quick Reply: How fast is fast enough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.