Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What is a good back tension release >

What is a good back tension release

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is a good back tension release

Old 06-24-2004, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What is a good back tension release

To begin with, I will be using it for hunting. They aren't just good for target shooting for some reason, right?

I want one that isn't hard to master and works fine. However, I don't need to be spending $200 on a release either. Also, would you recommend a two finger, three finger or what? It would be nice to use my pointer as the anchor and not trigger, but what advantage is there to having a three finger release, etc.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 06-24-2004, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is a good back tension release

check this link

http://216.7.172.165/vb/showthread.p...threadid=91218
Old 06-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zenith is one of the best
Carter would be my second choice.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:38 PM

I would go to a very good Pro shop & shoot one first, or better yet TRY to shoot one first, before I committed to hunt with one.
I'm certainly no expert with mine & I have been shooting with it nearly every day for 2 months. I've read Bernie's book 3 times & still don't feel comfortable to hunt with it. Most Pro's will tell you to committ 3 months minimum to getting use to a back tension release.
The reason to use a BTR is the surprised release if used properly. No where have I read of any of the Pro's using a BTR for hunting, I no I wouldn't. Practicing with it though has helped my accuracy with a wrist release tremendously.
Any one who tells you learning to shoot a BTR is easy is an archery genius.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see. I wouldn't want one to practice with if I can't use it to hunt. I'd rather practice with what I'll use so I'll do better when the moment of truth comes. Thanks for the heads-up. I figured users took them to the woods with them too...
Old 06-24-2004, 10:57 PM

some pro's do hunt with them....I have a video, Straight Talk from the Pros, and one of the guys hunts with his. I bought one this summer, but I am not going to really commit to it until this winter, after hunting season. Plan is to shoot BT all winter and spring and then see how things go into summer. Not sure what I will do come next hunting season. By the way, I have a Scott Longhorn 3 and I really like it.

JMAC
Old 06-25-2004, 12:08 PM

I'm rather new to bowhunting...when I went to my local pro-shop to get started, he gave me a Stanislawski (now Copper John) two finger BT release. I've never used anything else--and I love it. My very first, second, etc. shot with my bow, was in the center of the target. I take it in the woods--and will don't plan on switching to anything else.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:51 PM

I encountered the same delemia that you are going through..I decided to go with the Sweet Spot II by TRU ball. It has a saftey on it, which give me a peice of mind as I draw it back and can be set for various sensitivity levels. After using it for about a month, I plan to use it in the woods.