HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   String loop: nock or no nock? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/63771-string-loop-nock-no-nock.html)

HUNTER919 06-16-2004 09:13 PM

String loop: nock or no nock?

I am new to shooting a loop. Do I need to have a nock with it or not? Right now I am using the loop with one brass nock under the arrows nock. Is this okay or do I need to change it?

gibblet 06-16-2004 09:49 PM

RE: String loop: nock or no nock?

i've shot like that, and it will keep your loop from slipping, but it also affects how your arrow 'sits' (for lack of a better word) between your loop when you draw. it well hold your arrow funny. i discoverd this going from a nap to a bodoodle. the nock pulled the arrow off the rest and held it in the air a little sideways because there is really barely any sideways pressure from bodoodle rest - where there is with the nap, or a tt. that was hard to describe and i hope you understood.

Bigpapascout 06-16-2004 09:59 PM

I tie on a nocking point top and bottom of the nock with #2 FF serving thread to keep the loop from slipping.
a lot less bulky than a brass nock set and will not pinch the nock.
If you decide to keep the brass nock it needs to be on top of the nock instead of under it.

Washington Hunter 06-16-2004 10:00 PM

This is just how I have mine set up. I had it set up the way you were talking about for awhile, but when i changed my loop I decided to try it this way. I think I'm actually hitting a little more consitently this way, but I can't say for sure it has anything to do with the way I have things set up.

*EDIT* You have to keep in mind also that the way I have mine set up will knock off a few FPS. I'm not looking for a lightning fast bow though, just something that will get the job done. You on the other hand may be the opposite and if so, I wouldn't reccomend going this way.

gibblet 06-16-2004 10:04 PM

yeah, pinch the nock - thats what i was using 1000 words to try and say.

Swamp Dawg 06-17-2004 06:41 AM

I do the same thing as BPS. I use a tied in nock above and below. It does the same thing as the brass, but with minimal speed loss.

BobCo19-65 06-17-2004 06:51 AM

Personally, I like to tie one a nock above and below the arrow. The loop sets on the outside of both nocks.

Arthur P 06-17-2004 09:06 AM

When I shot a release and loop (yes BPS, I've been there, done that and got the T-shirt), mine was setup with a nockset about 1/8" wide between the arrow's nock and the bottom loop.

When I drew back with just the loop, my release was pulling the loop upwards and the jaws of the release were not directly behind my arrow.

By putting the nockset between the nock and the bottom loop, it lowered the center of pressure on the loop, putting my release directly behind the nock. Maybe it's no biggie, but I felt more confident when I knew my release was directly inline with my arrow. It SEEMED to make tuning easier.

Also, the bottom knot on the loop never gets as tight as the top one. I've had the bottom knot slide up the serving and start pinching the arrow's nock. The tied on nockset eliminated that problem.