HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Is it a bad idea to adjust draw length if ... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/63754-bad-idea-adjust-draw-length-if.html)

sqrln8r 06-16-2004 05:32 PM

Is it a bad idea to adjust draw length if ...

Hi all,

I have a new Xtec, and have probably put somewhere around 1000 shots through it, and I think that the cable has stretched because when I anchor now, it feels like I really have to stretch to get it out there and stable. Also, I find that I sometimes will let the string creep forward and I will have to get back on it so to speak in order to keep it back in the valley before I am ready to shoot. I also find the string sometimes slapping my arm now I think because I have to keep my arm straighter in order to keep it out there.

My question is, would it be okay to adjust the draw lenght down 1/2 inch from 29.5 to 29 to compensate, or is this a bad idea. I have read some posts that recommend twisting the string to take up the stretch, but I don't have access to a bowpress to do that.

Do you think that the above symptoms sound like the string stretching, or is it bad form on my part? Also, are the factory Hoyt strings prone to stretching much, and if so, should I replace them now or wait till they wear out and just compensate with a shorter draw length?

I am not to worried about losing a few fps by shortening my draw length. And what would you all recommend for replacement strings when the time comes?

Thanks

sqrln8r 06-16-2004 05:38 PM

RE: Is it a bad idea to adjust draw length if ...

Sorry, it looks like I accidentally posted the same message twice.

Thanks

Bigpapascout 06-16-2004 05:45 PM

you probably noticed that the poundage has dropped a little as well...
You would be better off leaving the draw position on the cam as it is and twist the power cables up until you have them back to the specified length,
this will ensure that you are getting optimal preformance from the bow.
also you need to make sure the cams are still in time
regardless of Hoyts claims the cam and 1/2 will come out of time.

5 shot 06-17-2004 04:09 AM

check your "tuning marks" on the cams. If they are within the range, and your draw weight has remained the same I would change the draw length to the proper setting. If something has moved then you will need to twist up the string/cables to get things back in line.

JeffB 06-17-2004 06:06 AM

2004 will have holes in the cam..which are not really precise (nor were the tuning marks) . Get it to a knowledgable shop and get the cables/string back to original lengths and have the bow re-synched.

Over on ArcheryTalk there is a felow name Javelina who has made up some diagrams w/pictures for proper set-up of the C.5 and spirals. May want to jet over there and do a search.