Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Building up strength >

Building up strength

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Building up strength

Old 06-08-2004, 08:50 AM

Default Building up strength

What is a good way to "train" when you can't get out and shoot everyday? I have been drawing then slowly letting down my bow pretty much every day. I have been doing 5-draws in 3-sets. I hold draw for 10-15 seconds before letting down. One of my concerns is form - making sure that I am consistant. Right now my LX is set at 63lbs but I want to be able to draw 70 lbs comfortably by this fall.

What do you do to practice and build strength?
Old 06-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Building up strength

I lift weights "cause the chicks dig it" with the ability to draw heavy poundage a nice side effect.

However, if that's not your thing, keep doing what you're doing, and when you can do so comfortably (meaning an increase in strength) bump up the poundage and start over, and so forth, and so on...

But just remember, the ability to do so with 70# and properly warmed up is usually negated by adrenaline, sitting for hours without moving in single digit temps and the buck of a lifetime...
Old 06-08-2004, 11:56 AM

push ups!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:00 PM

i lift weights, and shoot shoot shoot as much as i can. usually 30 arrows minimum shot in three shot groups. towards the end when i am getting tired i bear down and try to hold steady for longer periods of time on the target.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:24 PM

I do lift weights and workout. Do you do any specific exercises (with weights) specifically for shooting your bow?
Old 06-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

I actually had to write a paper for gym class once... damn that was like 10+ yrs ago... and I did it on an artical that was in one of the hunting mags.. From what I remember.. you want to do pushups... w/ your hands forming a diamond.. w/ your hands shoulder length apart.. and w/ your hands wider than shoulder length apart.. Also dips... where you put your hands on a chair seat.. legs extended forward (chair behind you).. lower your but to the ground w/o letting and pressure off your arms.. then push back up.. slowly both directions.

This is to build up your back, shoulders, and chest muscles. Might as well throw in some crunch situps while you're at it to help w/ the climbing stand this fall.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

What is a good way to "train" when you can't get out and shoot everyday?
Come over to my place and install these SOB windows for me
Old 06-08-2004, 07:47 PM

I have a piece of thera tubing that I use like I am drawing a bow. I got it at my therapist when doing my therapy from shouder surgery.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ausie_Guy! You crack me up. I draw my bow all season, us old guy's can't get into this work out schedule anymore.

nubo
Old 06-08-2004, 10:28 PM

i do alot of rear deltoid exercises and trap and lat exercises these are the musles you should be using to pull back and hold. they are much bigger and more powerful than the muscles in the upper front torso. unless you over train your front torso and then your back torso is much weaker than your front and you actually end up rounding your shoulders forward because your pecs are pulling on your shoulders more than your rear deltoids and other shoulder muscles can hold back. so start light and work your way up. shoulders are the weakest joint in your body so you need to use a little caution with them.

Quick Reply: Building up strength

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.