Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 how many yards are most hunting shots. >

how many yards are most hunting shots.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how many yards are most hunting shots.

Old 06-03-2004, 10:20 AM

Default RE: how many yards are most hunting shots.

30 and under
Old 06-03-2004, 10:49 AM

Most surveys based on conservation data, regularly state that the average distance for the majority of bow kills, even with the newest technology, are at 5 to 23 yards.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:17 PM

I agree that most shots are around and under 20 yards,,, if you "hunt" meaning that you plan your stand or blind sites to be within that range. I've shot quite a number of deer that were less than 5 yards from the base of my tree stand.
Taking this into consideration, do we really need long ATA bows for top accuracy to hit the 8 inch vital on a deer? I've never shot a compound that I couldn't hit a tennis ball sized spot everytime at 15 yards, when tuned for hunting. I've recently shot a BowTech Justice and I'll tell you that this bow is the shortest bow I've ever shot and it really changed my opinion on what can be done with a short bow I'll probably be carrying one on my September bear hunt in Ontario this fall
Old 06-03-2004, 12:54 PM

Most of my shots have been from 10 yards out to 25. Have taken a couple at 35 yards on real clear shots.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:14 PM

Walks:

Those close in shots can often be more difficult than further out.

....do we really need long ATA bows for top accuracy
Top (better and consistent) accuracy (for many) is not the only benefit of a long(er) ATA.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also think it depend's on the individual and the situation as well ,but most of my shot's have been within the 20yrd range but if the situation was right I wouldn't hesitate on a 30 yrd shot either .I'm confident in my shooting ability but I wouldn't shoot any further than that because these target's move the one's in your back yard don't .

nubo
Old 06-04-2004, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've shot quite a number of deer that were less than 5 yards from the base of my tree stand.
Taking this into consideration, do we really need long ATA bows for top accuracy to hit the 8 inch vital on a deer? I've never shot a compound that I couldn't hit a tennis ball sized spot everytime at 15 yards, when tuned for hunting.
No, in my opinion for those type of shots you do not need a long axle to axle length bow to shoot accurately.

However, when we consider that some hunting situations require us to plan for the unexpected then physical characteristics such as a long brace height, longer axle to axle length and a smooth and consistant cam style can be extremely helpful in helping to make up for unforgiving conditions.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

By the same token, does one 'need' ultra light arrows and mechanical heads at 300 fps or more to make a shot on a deer at 20 yards and less? At least 50,000 years of history says NO.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

By the same token, does one 'need' ultra light arrows and mechanical heads at 300 fps or more to make a shot on a deer at 20 yards and less? At least 50,000 years of history says NO.
I agree totally Arthur. I would never shoot an ultralight arrow for deer nor do any of my bows approach the 300 fps mark.

Ya got me on the mechanical head part though. I have yet to have a bad experience with them on my setup so I see no reason to change.

I think my current setup may surprise you Arthur if you knew what I was shooting...
Old 06-04-2004, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL, Frank. I'm certain I would be suprized. I lost track of what setup you shoot way back with one of the HavocTec's you had.

Re: mechanical heads. I was referring to to the various and sundry arrow flight/accuracy issues that are so often used as rational for using mechs, not penetration or performance.

Quick Reply: how many yards are most hunting shots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.