Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Using carpet as a backstop? >

Using carpet as a backstop?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Using carpet as a backstop?

Old 05-27-2004, 07:36 AM

Default Using carpet as a backstop?

Hey all,

I read a while back (somewhere) that someone was using a vertical piece of carpet as a backstop behind their target. I was previously using a pile of hay bales, but recently got rid of the stinking wet mess.

I'd like to use an 8' x 8' section of carpet, stretched out over a frame of 2x4's and held vertically in place. How many layers of carpet would I need, and what type of carpet would be the best to use?

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 05-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Using carpet as a backstop?

Will.

I have seen guys use carpet as back stops they had 4 or 5 layers but did not stretch it. Instead they just let it hang so when the arrow hit it swung to take some of the impact.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you stretch it you'll likely punch right through it. Let it hang free like Aussie suggested and you shouldn't have any problems. As far as how many pieces.....no clue, sorry?
Old 05-27-2004, 09:25 AM

OK, that sounds good. I think that I'll construct two A-frames and then hang multiple carpet sections from them with a horizontal beam.

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 05-27-2004, 06:37 PM

Sounds like a perfect spot for a big bee's nest!!
Old 05-28-2004, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

At our outdoor 3D Practice range we use the large wood frame with carpet on the front and back streched tight and filled inbetween the carpet we fill it with shrink wrap, we havent had to replace the shrink wrap in over 8 years, we just recarpet the front and back twice a year, we have over 140 members shooting them alot and these work very, very well for shooting field points at.
Do some dumpster diving at the local carpet stores and youll find all the carpet you need and visit the dumpsters at larger manufacturer plants , or dept stores such as home dept etc to get your fill of dissgarded shrink wrap.
Deborah