Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 enough k- energy? >

enough k- energy?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

enough k- energy?

Old 05-18-2004, 08:40 PM

Default enough k- energy?

55lbs 236 fps k-energy only about 38.bow shoots good and straight ,sighted in great, but should i have enough k energy to kill as long as im not taking extremly long shoots? have only a 25 inch draw so i cant get as much speed as the guys with the longer arms.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: enough k- energy?

Use a good cut on contact fixed blade head and keep your shots under 25yds and you wont have a problem as long as you dont hit the shoulder.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:03 PM

is thier any way to get my kenergy up by using different grain or is thier nothing i can do?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:17 PM

Go to the website below and play with different #'s for your set up under arrow KE & Ballistics.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery.html
Old 05-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If my personal experience counts for anything I can say you got enough. Last deer I shot was with a bow shooting 237fps producing 39lb/ft of KE and the arrow double lunged the deer and buried about 8" of arrow into the ground after exiting. Next one was a doe a week later with the same results. The following week was another buck, this one at a hard quartering away shot. Hit the back of the ribs and broke the off-side shoulder before bouncing back. The deer went about 90 yards.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:16 PM

how long of shots were you taking fish? thats the only thing that worries me cause my draw is so short i just cant get that speed the longer arm guys get. i could go up the other 5 lbs byt i dont know how mush it would help. any way thanks for your answer.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:18 PM

and with the slower speeds cause of such short arms i lose that energy also.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:19 PM

damn my spelling sucks guess im geting tired.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would say if you are in doubt at all about your kenetic energy, then use a 2 bladed cut on contact head as some others have mention. But as alway limit your shots to slightly quartering away and broadside shots at the double lungs.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

DR,

My long shot that year was 15 yards. Not because I was holding off for a short shot. It's just the way it happened. However, I might add that with low KE like that I do take some things into consideration such as the broadhead. I was shooting 75gr InnerLoc heads with a cutting diameter of 1 1/16" The arrows were 316gr ACC 3-18's with 4" feathers. The bow was a GE LIghtspeed. The reason it got 237fps was because it happened to be capable of shooting bare shafts 35 yards Field points, broadheads and bare shafts all shot into a 3" bullseye at 35 yards. All I could see of the arrow was a green nock going when I did see them. Of all the deer I shot that year I never saw an arrow go, I was so intent on the aiming process.

On www.bowsite.com there is a pretty good article in the "features" section on pentration that explains a lot. Many guys think that deer are big game and they are not. You don't need a lot of energy to get passthroughs on deer unless you hit heavy bone, in which case you aren't going through most of the time anyway. Accuracy is the key. Don't hit heavy bone. Stay away from the shoulder. 3-4" behind the shoulder still results in a double lung which means "dead deer".

Quick Reply: enough k- energy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.