Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Winners Choice X coat >

Winners Choice X coat

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Winners Choice X coat

Old 04-29-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Winners Choice X coat

Any one else had any problem with the X coat on a Winners Choice string/cable? Had my string and cable for several months now and just noticed tonight the X coat coming apart on the buss cable around the cable slide area inasmuch as the string is showing under the X coat- probably got 6-700 shots on bow maybe more..
Now maybe some might say Ive got cable slide problems maybe- maybe not . Shooting a Muzzy ZE with the latest cable slide- (believe its teflon) and had no rough edges upon installation as I took real fine emery cloth to the slide grooves before installation to make sure there were no rough places- per Muzzys advice- smooth as a babys butt !
BUT I think I heard somewhere that the X coat could possibly cause a problem with the slide....

ANYONE ?
Old 04-30-2004, 06:18 AM

Default RE: Winners Choice X coat

Had it happen on a customer's bow just the other day. He had a stock slide. I removed the X-coat and checked the slide for visible imperfections. Couldn't find any.

If there is just a little gap or loose fit on the X-coat, or if the termination is not tight, or if the wrap is too tight causing a 'bump', there could friction/binding/inconsistent travel through the slide that could cause breakage. If you think about it, the X-coat is almost perpendicular to the travel of the string. This could cause more wear than normal such as what you get with a scrub board.

I'm not saying that the X-coat is bad. I'm just pointing out probable and theoretical problems with such a design. In fact, I've only seen this problem twice so far.

The next time I get a chance I might mic the diameter of the standard cable and that of the X-coat cable. A larger diameter could also set up more friction and create some problems. My question to WC would be how closely they adhere to the original diameter of the stock cables.

Just some thoughts.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:57 PM

Len, I'd bet that you remember the Proline bows of around 1989 that didn't have the cables served but only on the loop ends and about 1 inch from the loop? The bare string material was in constant contact with the cams and I don't remember there being any wear on the cables. Granted that you would want to wax this area more often but, I'm asking "why are we serving problem areas"? The next set of cables I build, I'm going to try them without serving
Old 05-01-2004, 06:29 PM

Yes, I do remember the early Proline bows. There are, however, other bow companies that have tried to 'short-cut' the serving situation to only attract problems. This is especially true for some of the one cam designs.

Darton tried short serving the split yoke cable at the cam end about 5 years ago. It was a disaster, IMPO. I noticed that Mathews is attempting short serving on the cable at the cam on the LX. Their cam has smoother transitions and it will hopefully not have the bad results that I've seen in the past. The angle that the cable comes off the cam can be the determining factor.

I personally don't like the concept of the X-coat. If you have a problem, like what's been mentioned above, and don't catch it, you could wind up with a jammed cable at the worst time.
[:@]
Old 05-01-2004, 10:20 PM

I wrote/pasted this subject to Winners choice Sat. and a waiting to hear from them- should be interesting since this is second problem Ive had with their Buss cable- granted the first didnt have the x coat and might have been the cable slides fault as I never checked for any rough places- so they sent me this one with the X coat at half price( which was still quite a bit)

I first noticed the problem with the X coat as I was drawing back and instead of the arm/hook on my Zero Effect rising smoothly as I drew I noticed it would kinda stick and jump for some reason. It was where the X coat had started to unravel and bunch up and as this bunched up part went thru the groove in the cable slide it would catch and hang up for a microsecond and then pass on thru as it normally would.

Tonight I unraveled as much of the seperating X coat as i could that passes thru the cable slide on the buss cable and noticed that the X coat on the string is not in that great of a shape either and it wont be long before it goes I bet.

As long as i had the cable slide off I rechecked it again( for about the 3rd/4th time to make sure) I couldnt see one iota of a rough spot/edge anywhere. I even took a cotton ball and formed it into a strand shape and drug it thru both slide slots vigorously to see if any fibers would catch on any rough places- Nada- nope- nothing.