Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 can you repair carbon arrows >

can you repair carbon arrows

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

can you repair carbon arrows

Old 04-22-2004, 09:15 AM

Default RE: can you repair carbon arrows

I have 2 boys that shoot shorter arrows than me. So when I mess one up I cut them down for them. If you can find I kid to give them to.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, thanks for the advice. I will give it to a friend who has a shorter draw length. dabow
Old 04-23-2004, 06:37 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

If it's badly damaged, I chop it shorter, refletch, and give it to a buddy with a shorter DL.

If it's just slightly split (1/2" or less), I remove the nock, smear the end with epoxy, wrap it tightly with serving, smear a thin coat of epoxy over the serving, let it cure, and then reinstall the nock. I've done this many times with no problem (heck, it's stronger than the original end), and they fly fine.

It's the first arrow I use for steel does or plinking; that way I don't feel as bad about losing it.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:39 PM

ok, obviously it is a bad idea, but I did the same thing, and it only split a little bit, bout 1/2 inch. glued a new nock on, and used some good fletching glue to hold the arrow, I have shot it about , oh I don't know, 2 or 300 times and it works fine. But, I can certainly see the safety issue there, now that I have thought about it.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

While I certainly wouldn't consider myself a rich man, and arrows are not exactally cheap, I wouldn't even think of using an arrow I suspected of being cracked, much less one that has visible cracks. Even after being cut down, you have put a tremendous stress on the fibers and the epoxy that holds them together. Cut it off and use it for a decoy stake or to hold up your tomato plants. Or you could cut it way down to like 8", fletch it up and make a pen. That's what I do with my broken ones.

BTW: My nephews think the arrow pens are just the coolest things.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

if I crack the end I will cut it off for a shorter Draw length like someone else said

there is a Big difference between a cracked end on a shaft
and one that is ruined beyond repairing.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't advise to do so, unless you are willing to make repairs to yourself in the future when it explodes

Seriously. Throw it out. Even if you cut off the bad 1" you'll end up w/ a stiffer arrow that does not weigh the same as the rest of your arrows.