Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 alternatives to string leaches? >

alternatives to string leaches?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

alternatives to string leaches?

Old 03-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default alternatives to string leaches?

I have leaches on now....on my bow that is. are there any better string silencers that may not take away as much speed? or that are just more productive? thanks all.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: alternatives to string leaches?

i have heard of spider silencers but have not tried them myself. supposively, they will make you gain almost 10fps? and silence as good as the sims leaches
Old 03-28-2004, 09:54 PM

ummmm.........how about a booger from bowtech?
Old 03-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Leeches are about the best at absorbing vibration from your string and you only loose 2 - 3 fps. Much less than most on the market.

The Tru Ball spider balls don't work worth a flip. They actually create more noise from the spiders arms slapping together when the string comes to a stop. I tried them far a couple of wqeeks last year and quickly took them off and went back to leeches.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not think you will find a better combination of noise reduction with as little speed reduction as the leeches. You can go in the opposite direction and find better noise reducers (rubber catwhiskers) but they weigh more and slow down your arrow more as well. Or, you could go in the other direction with several rubber eliminator buttons. They can actually increase bow speed if placed in the correct position but they are not quite as quiet as the string leeches.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Frank.

I some what have to dissagree with about the cats whiskers

On my 03 Patriot I put the whiskers on and trimmed them down to about the size of a 1/2 dollar then proceeded to shoot through the crono and after each shot I slid them up and down on the string to find the sweet spot for them.

After a lot of shots and moving them I ended up only loosing 5fps over a bare string.

Admittingly if you dont trim them and find the sweet spot you will loose more speed over the leeches.[:-]
Old 03-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fishon01

They seem to work well, but they come apart really fast. I probably have about 400+/- shots on mine and the top one is almost gone.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

ORIGINAL: fishon01

They seem to work well, but they come apart really fast. I probably have about 400+/- shots on mine and the top one is almost gone.
the ones on the string don't hold up so great. I am probably going to throw on some leeches.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Tru Ball spider balls don't work worth a flip
I second that.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Admittingly if you dont trim them and find the sweet spot you will loose more speed over the leeches.
Exactly. I think if more folks took the time and effort that you did then they would not have as much speed reduction.

How much speed reduction have you noticed with the leeches though? My "worst" was only about 3 fps.

Quick Reply: alternatives to string leaches?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.