Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arm slap??

Old 03-26-2004, 05:22 AM

Default Arm slap??

I have been shooting for a number of years. Started with a Martin shot it for about 6 yrs and bought another bow a couple of years ago. Right off the bat it slaped my arm, never had that happen to me before. I learned to torq it a little to pervent it. Okay when I had bought the arm slaper I loaned my old Martin to a friend and he has been shooting it for a couple of years. Okay here is the kicker I bought a LX a few months ago and decided to keep the slapper for back up bow. Well the same friend informed me he was going on a hog hunt in deep Texas so I loaned him my backup bow which is a lot more hunter friendly. You guessed it. I called him up to see how he liked the bow and he informed me his arm was black & blue.
So what is it? riser design or what?
Old 03-26-2004, 05:27 AM

Default RE: Arm slap??

What is the brace height? Seems to me that this could be one possible cause - especially if it is around 6" or so.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

Drawlength too long maybe? I know a 1/2" made a world of difference for me.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:37 AM

The BH is 6-3/4 and all three bows have the same draw length. I'm not sure what Marks draw length is but the Martin & slapper is the same length. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you measured the draw length? Just cause they say they are the same doesn't mean they are. Miss-labelled or string/cable movement could make the draw lengths different.

Try shortening the slapper a bit and see. If this doesn't work, try opening up your
stance a bit.

--Bob
Old 03-26-2004, 05:18 PM

Yeh my Mathews Q2 was supposed to be 27" but the actual was 27 3/4", that can make a world of difference on whether you are slapped or not.
Polack
Old 03-26-2004, 05:30 PM

I once got an arm slap from the back half of gold tip arrow that blew up on me. I got a welt on my arm the size of an orange. Front half of the arrow ended up in the target. I watched my arm swell up all the way to the ER where it finally stopped. My arm was purple, blue, red and green from fingertip to forearm for a month.

Never accidentally shoot an arrow that you just hit with a broadhead because your wife was nagging you while your trying to shoot in the backyard.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:00 AM

Your draw length is to long 100% guarenty.shortin with a draw module.most shooters shoot to long a draw length.you loose some speed but you won't slap the arm.