Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 broadheads for bears >

broadheads for bears

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadheads for bears

Old 03-25-2004, 09:04 PM

Default broadheads for bears

i am going to be going black bear hunting in orr minnesota this spring with my bow which is a high country ultra force.it will be set at 50 pounds and im wontdering what kind of broadheads i should use
Old 03-26-2004, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: broadheads for bears

Rednex,

There is no spring season fo bear in Minnesota. If you have something planned, you should check the regs. The area around Orr is a lottery draw permit for the fall season.

As far as broadheads are concerned:

I would use as tough a broadhead as you can find as bears have a very heavy bone structure. I have taken a couple Minnesota bruins and used a Wasp JakHammer expandable from a 60# bow, without any issue. A cut on contact head is probably a better choice for bear though. I have since switched to a G5 Montec fixed blade which are cut on contact and very tough heads. I can't wait to run one through a bear next time I draw a permit. Hope this helps.

MN_BOWHUNTER
Old 03-26-2004, 09:34 AM

thanks MN_BOWHUNTER
i realize now that i was wrong about the season i have also heard good things about the montec g5's thats what i was planning on getting but i wanted to get some opinoins first. thanks
Old 03-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Magnus heads come to mind , with a skinny carbon or , carbon alluminum arrow .
Old 03-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

A good fixed head flying true should do the trick at 50 lbs.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:35 PM

Hi Rednex,
I would strongly recommend a good fixed blade head. I have never seen or had a problem with a Thunderhead or a Muzzy. Stay away from the expandables if you can for bear. The extra hair and fat that a bear has takes away a lot of energy out of those heads to open up, and the result is more often than not, poor penatration. Remember it will probally be a 15 yard or less shot at a bear over bait. If the shot is further than that, well you are probally in the wrong spot. So pick a good fixed head that will fly for you at this range and hit him in the right spot, and he will not go far at all.
Good Luck!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:47 PM

I'll be using my trusty 115 grain 4 blade Muzzys this September in Ontario
Old 03-27-2004, 01:51 PM

Fix blade, i would go with somethin like a cut up front, but a muzzy style head would also be good. Make sure youve got good power behind it though.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:46 PM

Muzzy if you want a replaceable, or a Grizzly, Wensel woodsman, or Simmons if you want Magnum ++ performance. The shots are usualy close, so get lots of fletch, a drop away rest, or use fat aluminums, and make sure they are sharp.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Muzzy's.
I think 100 grains or 115 would be my choice.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...928.1936.0.0.0

Make sure they fly strait and be as sharp as razors...

Good hunting.

Quick Reply: broadheads for bears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.