Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 "Hybrid cams"= "winds of change blowing" >

"Hybrid cams"= "winds of change blowing"

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

"Hybrid cams"= "winds of change blowing"

Old 03-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: "Hybrid cams"= "winds of change blowing"

It is also true that the archery is also driven in part by the almighty dollar, but if this cam system had no credibility then why would so many manufactures be jumpimg on the band wagon instead of just marketing some other form gadget
In no way am I downplaying the effectiveness or design of any of the hybrid cam systems however the answer to the above quote is very simple.

The reason that so many manufacturers are jumping on the hybrid band wagon now is because Hoyt dumped a ton of money into advertising the heck out of their version of it. Darton has had the hybrid system for how many years and yet nobody else really invested time or money into it until this point in time. It may be a more well designed cam system than either the conventional single or dual cam system but this still reminds me of when everyone followed Mathews and started licensing or producing conventional single cam systems for their bows.

My opinion only.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:21 PM

Mark, again just my opinion that the reason manufactures are tooling up to produce the hybrid can system is profits It's THE reason to be in business, not to get pats on the back. If one company is selling hybrids like hotcakes and another is struggling with it's own cam design to keep enough sales to keep the doors open,,,, what should they do next Bash the competition or tool up to produce a hybrid design? ANY cam system needs to be tuned in some way or another for top accuracy and performance. The string materials are getting better,, even from last year,,,, enter Brownell's ST1 ,standard on BowTech's bows. The advances in string material have more to do with consistent accuracy than which cam is on the bow. How many people are changing their factory harness out for a custom set on brand new bows,,, I read quite a few.
I'd be pleased as punch if BowTech offered a hybrid cam system next year just to try one but there's a certain draw cycle that I've made up my mind on for top speeds and energy. Accuracy must be there also or it's a waste of time.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:43 PM

The evolution of Archery technology is circular not linear.

Its not so much that the "HOT THING is NEW" its more like the "NEW THING IS HOT"

To many equate Different and New with the word "Better"

Gotta give Joe Smoe a reason to dump his perfectly fine Q2 and spend more of his money on the NEW Outback..................After all it IS so much better...........right???.............LOL
Old 03-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Right on Rack.

One of the major pluses of the system and for that matter twin cams all so is that they stay in tune for a long period of time.
The major reason one cams became so popular and so highly touted by Matthews was because the one cam supposedly DID NOT get out of tune. I found out any bow, no matter what cam system will get out of tune, depending on string stretch and other minor factors. Perhaps that is why I am so resilient of resisting the hype from many ads these days.

By the way.......the worst experiences I have had with nock and tller change was with a dual cam bow, but I attribute that to the string and cable material that manufacturer used.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Gee thanks alot Rack.... I am one of those Joe Smoes who is dumping my perfectly good Q2 for an Outback! Man, I am actually sitting here feeling guilty about..... Ok it went away I still can't wait for my Outback to get here!
Old 03-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found just the opposite to be true Cougar , Mathews who touted themselfes as leading edge technology , were the worst for staying in time , and they are still useing the same strings and cabels . A system with 3 allmost equal length strings is far more stable than one with a string twice the length of the cabel . I owned a pearson that had a single cam and three strings like hoyt did before the change and it was much better . Not trying to start trouble , just what I have experanced . 8 or 9 companies have made the switch now , and I dont think its just marketing .All the hybreds I have shot with an eliptical top excentric " not hoyt" have been easy to tune and given me what I precive to be better arrow flight , broadhead tuneing , Funny how the company that did the most advertising [hoyt] , system is much diferant than what the other companies are coming out with . I chalange all of you to shoot dartons new extreme cam and judge for yourself . They arnt perfect , but they are well designed , merlins system is very nice allso , with a littel less letoff . With the new sealed bearings martin is useing Im sure their system is butter smooth allso .
Old 03-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

ijimmy, I did not make myself clear. I did not say dual cams got out of tune more easily or that Matthews past claims were true. Actually, I loved my dual cam bows. The one bow that gave me fits was a High Country Top Flite. It was constantly changing with the original string. I actually am partial to dual cams, although I currently do not have one.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but one of the differences between the Hoyt Cam1/2 and the Darton CPS is the fact that Darton does use a round idler wheel, again to create straight and level nock travel, a smooth draw and decent valley.
Oh BTW, do Hoyt and the rest have to pay royalities to Darton for the use of their patent?
Old 03-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

The evolution of Archery technology is circular not linear.
Rack Attack, I see your point but I hope it is slightly linear...because I can't make arrowheads out of flint and don't know how to begin making a bow that will shoot worth a damn.<comic relief>
Old 03-24-2004, 06:38 PM

Gee thanks alot Rack.... I am one of those Joe Smoes who is dumping my perfectly good Q2 for an Outback! Man, I am actually sitting here feeling guilty about..... Ok it went away I still can't wait for my Outback to get here!
Thats O.K. - I am a sucker for new "better" stuff myself

Rack Attack, I see your point but I hope it is slightly linear...because I can't make arrowheads out of flint and don't know how to begin making a bow that will shoot worth a damn.
Hows abouts "OVALEAR"................

Quick Reply: "Hybrid cams"= "winds of change blowing"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.